Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Frey, John (MED)" <Jo...@med.ge.com> on 2003/02/19 19:19:23 UTC

maven properties questions

Does anyone know what these properties are used for ?....

maven.repo.central = login.ibiblio.org
maven.repo.central.directory = /public/html/maven

I can't find any documentation on them. Also if someone could put
together a complete set of documentation on all of maven's properties
and what they're used for it would be very helpful...

I found many undocumented properties in the driver.properties file of
beta-7 yet I can't find this file in beta-8. Why?

GE  Medical Systems
John E. Frey
Lead Software Developer, iCenter
Global Service Technology
Phone: (262) 896-2800  Fx: (262) 896-2790
email: John.Frey@med.ge.com
http://www.gemedicalsystems.com <http://www.gemedicalsystems.com/>

Re: maven properties questions

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 13:19, Frey, John (MED) wrote:
> Does anyone know what these properties are used for ?....
>
> maven.repo.central = login.ibiblio.org
> maven.repo.central.directory = /public/html/maven
>
> I can't find any documentation on them. Also if someone could put
> together a complete set of documentation on all of maven's properties
> and what they're used for it would be very helpful...

Are you volunteering? I will help you with those docs. I love demanding
users who are willing to help.

> I found many undocumented properties in the driver.properties file of
> beta-7 yet I can't find this file in beta-8. Why?

That's because we hid it in the JAR so people don't edit it and shoot
themselves in the face.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: maven properties questions

Posted by Colin Sampaleanu <co...@exis.com>.
Frey, John (MED) wrote:

>Does anyone know what these properties are used for ?....
>
>maven.repo.central = login.ibiblio.org
>maven.repo.central.directory = /public/html/maven
>
>I can't find any documentation on them. Also if someone could put
>together a complete set of documentation on all of maven's properties
>and what they're used for it would be very helpful...
>
>I found many undocumented properties in the driver.properties file of
>beta-7 yet I can't find this file in beta-8. Why?

maven.repo.central is where the deploy targets deploy to. So to clarify:

Dependencies get searched for at
  maven.repo.local
If they are not found, or they are snapshots, they get searched for and
pulled down from
  maven.repo.remote
and get placed into local. Note that it is possible to have more than
one remote repo defined, separated by commans.Then when you use one of
the 'x:install' targets, like
  jar:install
the artifact is placed in the local repo (maven.repo.local). When you do
one of the 'x:deploy' targets, like
  jar:deploy
the artifact is placed into the repo defined by
  maven.repo.central
which is presumably one of the remote repos (the normal value is
ibiblio). As to why this is a separate value than maven.repo.remote, the
reason is presumably because first of all maven.repo.remote can contain
more than one value, and also the deploy code uses SSH's scp, so the
location has to be specified in a format suitable for scp, not http: or
file: as normally used in maven.repo.remote.

Hope this clears things up...