Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by daniel steel <se...@yahoo.com> on 2005/06/08 18:35:36 UTC

tomcat windows / mysql linux

hi all,
  i have an interesting problem. our app server(tomcat
5.5) on windows 2003 communicates with mySQl database
on linux box.

our client application is very slow each time we log
in. when we moved the database to windows box, the
application is super fast.

does anybody have thoughts on this?

thank you
secc

Re: tomcat windows / mysql linux

Posted by daniel steel <se...@yahoo.com>.
hi paul,
  yes, it has been configured the same way. all the machines are connected in a giga network.
yes, its the log in that takes the most time and every time we log.
our production server is older version of tomcat. when we tried to run production server on jdk 1.5.03, we have the same problem.

could it be problem with jdk?

 we run into the same problem of very slow login, only from windows to linux.
we have another client who have app server on linux and database on another linux box and it is seems to work fine.

any thoughts? any tests we can run?

thanks
dan.

Paul <pa...@mnwebhost.net> wrote:
daniel steel wrote:

>hi all,
> i have an interesting problem. our app server(tomcat
>5.5) on windows 2003 communicates with mySQl database
>on linux box.
>
>our client application is very slow each time we log
>in. when we moved the database to windows box, the
>application is super fast.
>
>does anybody have thoughts on this?
>
>thank you
>secc

Is mysql configured the same way? Same cache sizes and the like? Are
the network connections and equipment in between the severs the same?
Lastly, are all types of data access affected or just the login process?

-Paul

---------------------------------
Discover Yahoo!

Re: tomcat windows / mysql linux

Posted by Paul <pa...@mnwebhost.net>.

Posted by Robert Harper <ro...@iat-cti.com>.
What is the speed of your network? Local access will almost always be faster
than a call across the network. Even if you specify your ODBC to use a
network address, the OS's are smart enough to not send local access through
the network card. There could also be issues with the network physical
setup. If you have daisy chained hubs instead of smart switches this could
further degrade the performance due to the number of hops you request might
take. You could expect a few second delay for network layer depending on the
speed and topography of the network. This is one of the reason good network
engineers get paid so well.

Robert S. Harper
Information Access Technology, Inc.