Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Alexandre Bruyere <br...@gmail.com> on 2018/10/26 18:53:01 UTC

Questions on snapshots

Hello.

I'm currently investigating the functions of Cloudstack, and looked into
snapshots.

As far as I can tell, the smallest possible interval for snapshots is one
hour. Is there a way to schedule them more frequently? For my use, 5
minutes snapshots would be ideal.

Also, it's limiting me to 8 snapshots kept. Is it possible to keep a larger
number of them - whether it is by changing configurations, by some other
mechanic or any other way?

Re: Questions on snapshots

Posted by Alexandre Bruyere <br...@gmail.com>.
Thank you very much for the help, I will start looking into alternatives.

Re: Questions on snapshots

Posted by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com>.

Re: Questions on snapshots

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
I wouldn't comment on the feasibility of this - but snapshots that stays on
Primary Storage... in case of Primary Storage issues, will be unusable also.
Perhaps you are talking about issues inside VMs - in this sense, again,
snapshots might not be (in my opinion...) the best solution, at least such
frequent snapshots, but again that is only my opinion.. Perhaps a proper
backup mechanism inside VMs etc...

Anyhow, there is VM-level snapshots if KVM is using NFS for Primary Storage
(and same for XenServer afaik) - these should be tested and evaluated for
your use case.
Simple volume snapshots are probably not going to work for you/customer in
case of multiple-volume VMs - since you need to ensure consistent state
inside the OS filesystem/apps, etc (imagine DB on volume1, and logs on
volume2, etc)

I'm just afraid that keeping huge number of snapshots of the VM will mean a
serious performance degradation sooner or later.

just my 2 cents, if you don't mind.

Cheers

--

Andrija Panić