Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Sam <me...@yahoo.com> on 2002/04/25 01:50:37 UTC

New Subproject proposal Config4J

Hi.

I would like to propose a new subproject called Config4J.

The aim of this project is to provide developers with a generic
framework to help with setting up application level configuration in
Java applications, in a manner similar to what Log4J does for logging.

I have a first cut of the codebase and it works fine. The framework has
the ability to pick up configuration information from XML files,
Databases, LDAP and property files.

Application code would use a standard interface to access properties
Eg Config.getProperty(XXX) etc.

I hope to see this evolve with contribution from others in the
community.

How does this sound ?
/Sam

Re: New Subproject proposal Config4J

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org> writes:

> On Thu, 25 Apr 2002 09:50, Sam wrote:
> > Hi.
>>
>> I would like to propose a new subproject called Config4J.
>
> Theres a few of these around all solving similar things. Is there anything
> that distinguishes it from the Preferences API in JDK1.4? (Except that it
> would run on pre-jdk1.4 JVMs). The Preferences API is already being
> integrated into several core APIs and by jdk1.5/tiger release large chunks of
> the JVM will only be able to be configured using Preferences.

One of the aims of the new Configuration component in the sandbox is
to be Preferences API complient (at least where it makes sense to do
so).

Re: New Subproject proposal Config4J

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: New Subproject proposal Config4J

Posted by Sam <me...@yahoo.com>.
The creativity went out the window, right after the dot Coms with
their -creative- work enviornments :)

./s

Posted by Bob Jamison <rj...@lincom-asg.com>.
Endre Stølsvik wrote:

>| Apache
>  The original Apache is called Apache HTTPD now, isn't it? But yes,
>annoying.

Actually, I think Apache is a wonderful name,  because it is just a name,
and doesn't mean anything (in this context) except the Apache project.

Although the name does not derive from the Apache culture, it is a nice
coincidence.  Having lived in southeast Arizona, I think it definitely is a
really cool appelation.  (BTW, the Apaches don't really call themselves
Apaches, that is just a name given to them by the Spanish explorers.)

Besides, isn't it better sometimes to build your own heritage, rather
than borrow from others?  Let someone in the future do the borrowing;
maybe a project in 2010 will be called MINA (Megaserver Is Not Apache).

;-)

Bob

Re: New Subproject proposal Config4J

Posted by Gunnar Rønning <gu...@polygnosis.com>.
* Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org> wrote:

| > Jakarta is a city on Java. The name makes perfect sense to me as Jakarta
| > is a community developing software based on Java.
|
| It makes me laugh that so many people involved with this project don't even
| know its origins, or better OUR origins...

My point is that the name Jakarta makes sense for somebody who is not involved
in the project, but instead remember a little geography from school.

--
Gunnar Rønning - gunnar@polygnosis.com
Senior Consultant, Polygnosis AS, http://www.polygnosis.com/

Re: New Subproject proposal Config4J

Posted by Endre Stølsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>.
On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Pier Fumagalli wrote:

| > > Annoying..
| >
| > Jakarta is a city on Java. The name makes perfect sense to me as Jakarta
| > is a community developing software based on Java.
|
| It makes me laugh that so many people involved with this project don't even
| know its origins, or better OUR origins...

;-)

Well, that conference room probably got its name from Indonesia, though?
Bet there are Coffe, Mocca, Latte and whatnot too?

.. as I was saying: "The name Jakarata: ...."

--
Mvh,
Endre

Re: New Subproject proposal Config4J

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Gunnar Rønning" <gu...@polygnosis.com> wrote:

> * Endre Stølsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Jakarta
> > Annoying..
>
> Jakarta is a city on Java. The name makes perfect sense to me as Jakarta
> is a community developing software based on Java.

It makes me laugh that so many people involved with this project don't even
know its origins, or better OUR origins...

    Pier

Re: New Subproject proposal Config4J

Posted by Gunnar Rønning <gu...@polygnosis.com>.
* Endre Stølsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com> wrote:

| Well, whatever.. It's just that when you're somewhat new to the Java and
| Apache/Jakarta communities, all these names are really weird.

You always encounter new a wierd names when you enter new communities. Be it
in the real world or the internet world. Names like Bison in the GNU world are
funny, but really doesn't make anymore sense than Turbine or Struts.

foo4bar is just lame IMHO. Innovative new names are the way to go. Having some
sort of explanation for why the name was chosen is nice, but for finding out
what a project does I would like to read a short description anyway.

Posted by Endre Stølsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>.
On 29 Apr 2002, Gunnar Rønning wrote:

| * Endre Stølsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com> wrote:
| |
| | | Jakarta
| |   Annoying..
|
| Jakarta is a city on Java. The name makes perfect sense to me as Jakarta
| is a community developing software based on Java.

Argh! Of course..

It should be obligatory to have a "The name XXX" or "Why was the name XXX
chosen?" page! I found "Alexandria", they have the story behind the name
on their front page. Interesting, allthough "SourceCollector" or "JSDA -
Java Source and Documentation Aggregator" or _something_ would be better.

Posted by Gunnar Rønning <gu...@polygnosis.com>.

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Jon Scott Stevens" <jo...@latchkey.com> wrote:

> on 4/29/02 8:18 AM, "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Endre Stølsvik wrote:
>>

>>> But why did Jakarta end up with that rather nonsense name?
>>>

>> Jakarta is the capital of Indonesia located on the island of Java.
>>
>> One nonsense name deserves another :-)
>>
>> Conor
>
> It was because Sun names their meeting rooms after different geographical
> places. The meetings about this project were held in the 'Jakarta' room.

If we had that same meeting today we would call ourselves "Mr. Toad's Wild
Ride" or something whacko like that (since they moved from Cupertino to
Santa Clara)... Jakarta's kewl...

    Pier

Re: New Subproject proposal Config4J

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.

Posted by Joe Germuska <jo...@germuska.com>.
At 4:53 PM +0200 4/29/02, Endre Stølsvik wrote:
>But why did Jakarta end up with that rather nonsense name?

Jakarta is an island in Indonesia, as is Java.

I like the name myself.  But then, I don't really agree with your
initial concern.

Joe

* Joe Germuska    { joe@germuska.com }
"It's pitiful, sometimes, if they've got it bad. Their eyes get
glazed, they go white, their hands tremble.... As I watch them I
often feel that a dope peddler is a gentleman compared with the man
who sells records."
	--Sam Goody, 1956
tune in posse radio: <http://www.live365.com/stations/289268>

Re: New Subproject proposal Config4J

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

> > > Annoying..
> > We can rename it  EDAJAON
> > "Endre Doesn't Appreciate Jakarta As Our Name"
> > Which should make you happy?
>
> No, not really.
>
> But why did Jakarta end up with that rather nonsense name?

Because the very first meeting between about having an open-source based
reference implementation to the Servlet and JSP specification was held at
Sun Microsystems in October 1998 (Thursday after the very first ApacheCON in
San Francisco), in their CUP-02 building in the "Jakarta" conference room....

(DARN, I feel so old! :)

    Pier

Re: New Subproject proposal Config4J

Posted by "Michael A. Smith" <ma...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Endre Stølsvik wrote:
> | > Annoying..
> |
> | We can rename it  EDAJAON
> |
> | "Endre Doesn't Appreciate Jakarta As Our Name"
> |
> | Which should make you happy?
>
> No, not really.
>
> But why did Jakarta end up with that rather nonsense name?
>
> JApache, Apache4J, JSF - Java Server Frameworks, SCwAiiN - Something Cool
> with Apache in its Name. What about the different jakarta projects?

If I'm remembering correctly, "Jakarta" was the name of the conference
room at Sun where they decided to donate the reference implementation of
the servlet spec (i.e. Tomcat) to Apache.

regards,
michael

Re: New Subproject proposal Config4J

Posted by Endre Stølsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>.
On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

| On 4/29/02 10:33 AM, "Endre Stølsvik" <En...@Stolsvik.com> wrote:
|
| > On 29 Apr 2002, Leo Simons wrote:
| >
| > | Apache
| > The original Apache is called Apache HTTPD now, isn't it? But yes,
| > annoying.
|
| Was for "A Patchy" server, right?
|
| Not annoying.

That's correct.. Yup. Forgot it while writing that stupid mail. That's
actually pretty cool, thinking about it..!

| > | Jakarta
| > Annoying..
|
| We can rename it  EDAJAON
|
| "Endre Doesn't Appreciate Jakarta As Our Name"
|
| Which should make you happy?

No, not really.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 4/29/02 10:33 AM, "Endre Stølsvik" <En...@Stolsvik.com> wrote:

> On 29 Apr 2002, Leo Simons wrote:
>
> | Apache
> The original Apache is called Apache HTTPD now, isn't it? But yes,
> annoying.

Was for "A Patchy" server, right?

Not annoying.

> | Jakarta
> Annoying..

We can rename it  EDAJAON

"Endre Doesn't Appreciate Jakarta As Our Name"

Which should make you happy?

System and Software Consulting
"Now what do we do?"

Re: New Subproject proposal Config4J

Posted by Endre Stølsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>.
On 29 Apr 2002, Leo Simons wrote:

| BTW, I've found that "hardcore coding" is absolutely _the_ place for
| what you call "stupid names":
|
| linux
  It's a _unix_ operation system, made by Linus. There is some convention
of the use of a X for a Unix OS, or something like that. Whatever.

| GNU
  GNU's Not Unix.

| Emacs
  "Emacs originally was an acronym for Editor MACroS" - Emacs FAQ.

| Bash
  "Bourne Again SHell" (From "Bourne-shell", the original shell) Most unix
shells end in sh. sh is the original, non-OS shell.

| Less
  Antonym to "more", unix humor. "More" lets you se "more-and-more" of a
file.

| Apache
  The original Apache is called Apache HTTPD now, isn't it? But yes,
annoying.

| Jakarta
  Annoying..

| Gnome
  GNU Object Model Enviroment.

I actually find acronyms much better than "stupid names". And names with a
history of sorts. _Something_ to back the name up..

--
Mvh,
Endre

Re: New Subproject proposal Config4J

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
We had a nice discussion 'bout this on avalon-dev a while back. You can
read the thread at

http://www.mail-archive.com/avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg07495.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg07589.html

This was about nondescriptive naming of packages inside a subproject
with a nondescriptive name inside a jakarta project with a
nondescriptive name, inside jakarta, which has a nondescriptive name.

Basically, it'd be nice to call Avalon "ServicesFramework4J", but its
not really fair to do so (Turbine's Stratum is also a
"ServicesFramework4J"), so we don't. Deal with it.

BTW, I've found that "hardcore coding" is absolutely _the_ place for
what you call "stupid names":

linux
GNU
Emacs
Bash
Less
Apache
Jakarta
Gnome
(...)

grz,

- Leo, typing a message inside Ximian Evolution, running on Red Hat
linux, not getting annoyed at any of those names

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Jon Scott Stevens" <jo...@latchkey.com> wrote:

> on 4/29/02 1:11 AM, "Endre Stølsvik" <En...@Stolsvik.com> wrote:
>
>> "Creative names".. Well.. This isn't a fashion school or something. It's
>> hardcore coding.
>
> I disagree.
>
> Coding is an art form and the creators should be given the freedom and
> encouragement to title their pieces of art how they please.
>
> :-)

+1 :)

    Pier

Re: New Subproject proposal Config4J

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Posted by Endre Stølsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>.

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Posted by Sam <me...@yahoo.com>.
I didnt realise that.

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Sam <me...@yahoo.com> writes:

> I looked at the CVS repository for this component.
>
> This seems to be in a very early statge. Eg theres
> nothing in the XML config part. There are just 2 basic
> classes Eg BaseConfiguration.java that really doesnt
> do much.
>
> I dont mean to sound like I m undermining your effort,
> but I would expect a configuration component to do
> more than that.

It is in the formative stages as a component, but is using code which
has been around since Apache JServ and is used currently used in (at
least) the Commons Collections, Velocity, Turbine, Fulcrum, Torque,
Stratum, and Scarab projects.  I look forward to your patches.

> Over the weekend, I ll putup what I have on a URL so
> you can look at it and use it as you feel necessary or
> incorporate whatevery you need.

I won't be incorporating anything (time constrains), but if you'd like
to make some interface changes or add that XML implementation, I'd
certainly be willing to look over your patches, and/or discuss
proposed changes.

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/source.html

Probably most appropriate to continue this discussion on the
commmons-dev@jakarta.apache.org list.

                             Thanks, Dan

Re: New Subproject proposal Config4J

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On Thu, 2002-04-25 at 15:46, Sam wrote:
> I looked at the CVS repository for this component.
>
> This seems to be in a very early statge. Eg theres
> nothing in the XML config part. There are just 2 basic
> classes Eg BaseConfiguration.java that really doesnt
> do much.

You are right, it doesn't do much other then using properties like
files. That's why it's in the sandbox. If you've got some code bring it
on down. I was planning on using betwixt for the xml configuration stuff
and some changes need to be made to betwixt before I was going to
attempt that.

> I dont mean to sound like I m undermining your effort,
> but I would expect a configuration component to do
> more than that.

Definitely :-)

> Over the weekend, I ll putup what I have on a URL so
> you can look at it and use it as you feel necessary or
> incorporate whatevery you need.

Cool, I'll definitely take a look at it.

> Cheers
> ./s
>
> Sam
>

> --- Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com> wrote:

> > jakarta-commons-sandbox/configuration that you
> > mentioned

> > > The component doesn't have a website yet.  You can
> > get to the files via
> > > viewcvs:
> > >

> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons-sandbox/configuration/
> >
> > Indeed, it's brand new.  All the better for you help
> > influence its
> > direction, eh?  :)
> >
> > - Dan
> >
> > --
> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: New Subproject proposal Config4J

Posted by Sam <me...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.

Posted by "Michael A. Smith" <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam <me...@yahoo.com>.
Dumb question.

Where is this jakarta-commons-sandbox/configuration that you mentioned
below.

Its not listed anywhere on
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/components.html

Thanks