Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Gary Aitken <op...@dreamchaser.org> on 2014/01/25 22:48:38 UTC

duplex pages upside down

I'm not sure what caused this, as I haven't printed any duplex pages for a
while, but now the back side of double-sided pages is printing upside down.
The printer is an hp officejet pro 8500.

I'm on a freebsd (*nix) system, using gutenprint/cups as the print driver.

If I look at the page preview, the second sheet is properly oriented.

Anyone have any ideas?

Re: duplex pages upside down

Posted by Gary Aitken <op...@dreamchaser.org>.
On 01/26/14 16:36, Regina Henschel wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> Gary Aitken schrieb:

>>> Isn't there a setting in the driver or in the operating system
>>> to print raw data?
>>
>> No.  The only thing that looks like it could be raw output is the
>> choice in the properties subdialog of the print dialog called
>> "Printer Language Type" which allows selection of pdf (the default)
>> and several levels of postscript, one of which is labelled "from
>> driver" which I assume means use the driver says it likes ps.
>
> So why not try it out?

Already did that quite a while ago.

> What information do you see in Cups? I've got a HP ColorLaserJet
> (which understands postscript) and see: Defaults: job-sheets=none,
> none media=iso_a4210x297mm sides=two-sided-long-edge

Not sure what you mean by "in cups", but if you are referring to the
subdialog of the print dialog that comes up when I hit "Print...",
(i.e. the properties dialog from the "Properties..." button,

Paper Tab:
  paper size
  orientation
  duplex (off, long edge (standard), short edge (flip))
Device Tab:
  Color Model
  Color Precision
  Media Type
  Print Quality
  Resolution
  Shrink Page If Necessary to Fit Borders
  and a whole bunch more which are color-correction related

I've tried both duplex options, and they have the same effect (upside-down)

> I'm a Linux novice and can not really help you. Isn't there a freebsd
> forum?

yes, and I'm pursuing that avenue also.  But in order to do that, I
need to know what the heck AOO does when it goes to print.
I need to know how the system print mechanism is triggered from AOO,
and what it is being fed.  Otherwise, it's not clear where to look.

<after some more experiments>
Cups installs its own lpr command.
On fbsd that is in /usr/local/bin; the system still has one in /usr/bin.
Depending on the order in one's path, you get either the cups one or the
system one -- unless a full path is specified.  That's not particularly
a good situation, but I don't think that's the problem; I think cups
uses a full path (don't know if aoo does or not, or if it's even relevant,
as I don't know how aoo interfaces to cups).

If you take a proper .ps file set up for duplexing (below) and print
it with the system lpr command, page 2 comes out right-side up.  If you
print it using the cups lpr command, page 2 comes out upside-down.

If you take a 2 page OO document and print it duplexed via cups, it comes
out upside down.
If you first print it duplexed to a pdf file, and then:
Using the system lpr command, it prints on two separate sheets.
Using the cups lpr command, it prints duplexed upside down.

That looks like there is something wrong with the cups lpr command.
I'd be curious if anyone else sees the same behavior.

<more experiments>
If I move the cups lpr command out of the way and replace it with a
symbolic link to /usr/bin/lpr, I still see the same behavior when
printing from aoo.  Which would imply that aoo is not using the lpr
command to print.

In the meantime, I'll go looking for some cups help.

============== duplex.ps ==============
%!PS-Adobe-3.0
%cupsJobTicket: media=Letter sides=two-sided-long-edge
%%BoundingBox: 36 36 576 756
%%Pages: 2
%%LanguageLevel: 2
%%Requirements: duplex
%%DocumentNeededResources: font Times-Roman
%%EndComments

%%BeginDefaults
%%PageOrientation: Portrait
0.0 setgray
/Times-Roman findfont 24 scalefont setfont
%%EndDefaults

%%BeginSetup
%%BeginFeature: *Duplex DuplexNoTumble
<< /Duplex true /Tumble false >> setpagedevice
%%EndFeature
%%EndSetup

%%Page: (Front Page (1)) 1
% Page 1 text
newpath 100 100 moveto (Page 1 Duplex.ps) show
showpage

%%Page: (Back Page (2)) 2
% Page 2 text
newpath 100 100 moveto (Page 2 Duplex.ps) show
showpage

%%EOF
%

Re: duplex pages upside down

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Gary,

Gary Aitken schrieb:
> On 01/26/14 06:00, Regina Henschel wrote:
>> Gary Aitken schrieb:
>>>
>>> No.  It's a dropdown, so it shows up once the menu is clicked; then
>>> an "OK" to dismiss the whole dialog, then a "Print" to actually set
>>> the process in motion from the main print dialog.
>>>
>>> Wish I could at least figure out whether it was the driver or AOO,
>>> as it was working a few weeks ago.  Unfortunately, I don't have
>>> another printer that has duplex capability.  I suspect it's the
>>> driver, but I'll be danged if I can figure out what's wrong with
>>> it.
>>>
>> Isn't there a setting in the driver or in the operating system to
>> print raw data?
>
> No.  The only thing that looks like it could be raw output is the choice
> in the properties subdialog of the print dialog called
> "Printer Language Type" which allows selection of pdf (the default) and
> several levels of postscript, one of which is labelled "from driver" which
> I assume means use the driver says it likes ps.

So why not try it out?

What information do you see in Cups? I've got a HP ColorLaserJet (which
understands postscript) and see:
Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=iso_a4210x297mm
sides=two-sided-long-edge

I'm a Linux novice and can not really help you. Isn't there a freebsd forum?

Kind regards
Regina

Re: duplex pages upside down

Posted by Gary Aitken <op...@dreamchaser.org>.
On 01/26/14 06:00, Regina Henschel wrote:
> Gary Aitken schrieb:
>> On 01/25/14 15:59, Maurice Howe wrote:
>>> When you use "short edge" is there an "apply" tab or anything
>>> like that?
>>
>> No.  It's a dropdown, so it shows up once the menu is clicked; then
>> an "OK" to dismiss the whole dialog, then a "Print" to actually set
>> the process in motion from the main print dialog.
>>
>> Wish I could at least figure out whether it was the driver or AOO,
>> as it was working a few weeks ago.  Unfortunately, I don't have
>> another printer that has duplex capability.  I suspect it's the
>> driver, but I'll be danged if I can figure out what's wrong with
>> it.
>>
> Isn't there a setting in the driver or in the operating system to
> print raw data?

No.  The only thing that looks like it could be raw output is the choice
in the properties subdialog of the print dialog called
"Printer Language Type" which allows selection of pdf (the default) and
several levels of postscript, one of which is labelled "from driver" which
I assume means use the driver says it likes ps.

How does OO do printing?  Does it produce a pdf and then hand that off?
If so, then presumably the print to file option for pdf is the exact
output that would be fed to the print mechanism?  When sending to the
printer I have the option of different varieties of postscript as well
as pdf (default), but print to file only shows pdf so I assume that's
what oo produces?

If I print to file and generate a pdf, it looks ok, but of course it is
page-by-page without any duplexing operating.

It is behaving as if there is a
  %%Requirements: duplex (tumble)
command in the postscript file.
I suspect the problem is in the print system, not oo, but it would be nice
to get the output from OO right before it goes to the print mechanism, and
then also know what the cmd is that it's using to send to the print spooler.

Thanks for any insights,

Gary

Re: duplex pages upside down

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Gary,

Re: duplex pages upside down

Posted by Gary Aitken <op...@dreamchaser.org>.

RE: duplex pages upside down

Posted by Maurice Howe <ma...@stny.rr.com>.
When you use "short edge" is there an "apply" tab or anything like that?

Maurice Howe

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: duplex pages upside down

Posted by Gary Aitken <op...@dreamchaser.org>.
On 01/25/14 15:15, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> Gary Aitken <op...@dreamchaser.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure what caused this, as I haven't printed any duplex pages for a
>> while, but now the back side of double-sided pages is printing upside down.
>> The printer is an hp officejet pro 8500.
>>
>> I'm on a freebsd (*nix) system, using gutenprint/cups as the print driver.
>>
>> If I look at the page preview, the second sheet is properly oriented.
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas?
>>

> Change the flip option from 'long edge' to 'short edge' or cohtrariwise.

Already tried that; it has no effect.

Re: duplex pages upside down

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.