Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "C. Benson Manica" <cb...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/16 23:02:29 UTC

Can I do this with Maven?

I have a code base, packaged as a jar, which is an interface to a Derby
database.  Naturally the unit tests require firing up Derby and running some
basic SQL to create the empty schema before the tests can run.  That part I
already have working in Maven.  What I want is to package and deploy both
the interface jar and a compressed version of the blank database as it
exists on the file system.  Ideally I could do this all from the same pom,
but I suspect that at the least I will need to build a separate dummy
project which depends on the interface jar (and the SQL files bundled
therein) and whose sole purpose is to use the jar artifact to create the
blank database schema and package and deploy that somehow.  I guess this
boils down to two basic questions to start with:

1) Can a Maven project create more than one artifact, specifically a jar and
a compressed snapshot of a specific project directory?  (suspecting no)
2) If not, can Maven at least build a package consisting solely of a
compressed snapshot of a project directory, and make that available to other
projects in such a way that they can extract that snapshot and do things
with it?

Any help or links to the relevant portions of the M to RTF are appreciated!

--
C. Benson Manica
cbmanica@gmail.com

Re: Can I do this with Maven?

Posted by Christoph Kutzinski <ku...@gmx.de>.
Sounds like the Maven Assembly Plugin is exactly what you're looking for:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/

Re: Can I do this with Maven?

Posted by "C. Benson Manica" <cb...@gmail.com>.
[Apologies to Martin, I intended to mail the list rather than you
personally.]

Thanks to both who suggested building an assembly, that seems to do the
trick beautifully.  I do have a followup problem however - when I tried to
deploy the assembly to an Artifactory server, the jar portion went out ok,
but the tgz didn't:

[INFO] Error deploying artifact: Resource to deploy not found: File:
http://xxx/artifactory/libs-snapshots-local/com/my/site/1.1-SNAPSHOT/pkg-1.1-20100516.231424-1-blankdb.tar.gz.md5does
not exist

Do I need to build an md5 somehow and deploy that too?  If so, how do I do
it?

--
C. Benson Manica
cbmanica@gmail.com