Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Struts Newsgroup (@Basebeans.com)" <st...@basebeans.com> on 2002/07/05 23:10:01 UTC

Re: struts and multi-valued database

Subject: Re: struts and multi-valued database
From: "Wendy S" <we...@hotmail.com>
 ===
"Adam Hardy" <ad...@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.1022834340.13087.struts@basebeans.com...
> Hi Wendy,
> struts doesn't handle the DB access.

Thanks Adam!

> So how are you accessing the DB if you don't have a JDBC driver? JNDI or
> something?

UniObjects for Java.  (Yes, UniData and its near-twin UniVerse are now owned
by IBM.)  I have objects such as UniFile and UniRecord and UniDynamicArray
to work with.  UniData (my version at least) does not have a JDBC driver and
it does not speak SQL.  (Even if it did, "normalizing" the data rather
defeats the purpose of having a multi-valued database. :)   So all the
existing ORM tools are out-- IBM sells RedBack, but it's low 5-digits and
I'm not sure it's justified.

> For your situation with the html form, think over whether you are using
> the right pattern for this, check out
> http://martinfowler.com/isa/OR-mapping.html - direct mapping of the html
> field to the DB field may not be the optimal solution

It took me a while to realize that the ORM part is where I'm stuck.  This is
a great link, thanks!

--
Wendy in Chandler, AZ