Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/20 16:40:47 UTC

Re: ejb-jar.xml to Annotations tool

I realise I've been doing bits and pieces of work on this, and have been
quite for a little while now, so I thought I'd just give you a bit of an
update.

I've managed to "Mavenize" the build of both the ejb-jar.xml to
annotations plugin, and the WTP server adapter plugin, and bundled them
both into a single OpenEJB feature. This generates an update site - I
have a copy at http://www.jrg.me.uk/update-site if you fancy pointing
your copy of Eclipse at it and trying it out. The POMs are largely based
on the Geronimo Dev tools build. I would like to add my PDE tests to
this as well at some point.

I've moved away from parsing the ejb-jar.xml with a SAX parser and I'm
now using the JaxbJavaee class to unmarshal it. I've added a couple more
annotations, and I'm currently looking at adding annotation attributes
to the source correctly (it only handles strings properly at the moment).

I guess now that I've done some work with Maven and put the two plugins
together in one bundle, it would make good sense to move this into the
sandbox some time soon - are you happy for me to attach a patch to
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENEJB-674 - it might be quite
large as that plugin is now in a subdirectory? My current code is
available at https://jrg.me.uk/annotations-plugin/trunk/ if anyone
fancies taking a look / trying it out.

Regards

Jon

Re: ejb-jar.xml to Annotations tool

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Fantastic, many thanks Jacek.

Jon

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Re: ejb-jar.xml to Annotations tool

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Just wanted to give you an update on the plug-in work I've been doing.
I've added another patch to OPENEJB-674 (many thanks to whoever applied
the last patch. I've also attached a zip to the issue as I'm not sure if
files I added made it into SVN last time.

With this patch, I think the plug-in will now generate most of the
annotations for session and message driven beans. I'm hoping to use the
plug-in to migrate the code at work (which doesn't have any entity
beans) over to EJB 3 over the next week or so. I'll post with how I get on.

I've added some PDE tests, although I'm not completely sure how to get
them to run from Maven, does anyone know how to do this?

I've also started working on generating annotations for Entity beans.
The approach I've taken is to use the CmpJpaConversion class to get
EntityMappings from both the ejb-jar.xml and openejb-jar.xml and using
the EntityMappings structure to work out which annotations should be
added to the entity bean classes. If I've understood it correctly, when
an EJB 2 app is deployed, OpenEJB generates an intermediate orm.xml file
that it passes to OpenJPA to handle the persistence, so I'm trying to do
the same thing. Obviously, please let me know if you think I'm going
about this the wrong way, or if I could be doing something better.

In terms of CMP beans, I guess we need to convert the CMP class into a
regular class, I was thinking of just removing the abstract keyword, and
turning them into very basic POJOs. I guess we'll also need to find some
way of refactoring lookups to CMP beans to use the JPA EntityManager.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sorry this has taken longer than I had hoped, I've been pretty busy with
work lately.

Cheers

Jon

Re: ejb-jar.xml to Annotations tool

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@jrg.me.uk>.
Hi,

Manu - Many thanks for applying the patch - I'll attach them to the JIRA
issue in future.

I've had a stab at updating the README file for the plugin, and I've
attached a patch to the JIRA issue.
Hopefully I'll get a chance to do a bit more work on this over the weekend.

Cheers

Jon

Posted by Manu George <ma...@gmail.com>.
Jonathan,

Posted by Manu George <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jonathan,

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jonathan, the video is cool, how did u do it :D. And the tool is greater
:D, it will be an edge to add in the JDC2 presentation on OpenEJB3.

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: ejb-jar.xml to Annotations tool

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@jrg.me.uk>.
Hi Manu

Posted by Manu George <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jonathan,

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Manu George <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jonathan,

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Manu,

Posted by Manu George <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Manu,

Thanks for giving it a whirl, I'm glad it installs ok.

As for your error... I guess something is broken :-)  - obviously its
early days ;-)

Is there anything in the error log view (Window->Show View->PDE
Runtime->Show log) - if there's a stack trace in there, can you send it
over and I'll have a look.

I've noticed a problem with adding an OpenEJB server where its missing a
dependency, so I'll look into this too.

Cheers

Jon

Posted by Manu George <ma...@gmail.com>.