Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Mark Doliner <Ma...@sas.com> on 2004/10/12 17:22:00 UTC

Maven Jcoverage Plugin License

Hi!

I like the HTML reports generated by the Maven Jcoverage plugin.  I'd like to modify jcoverage and create my own custom jcoverage.jar by removing the existing HTML report generation code and replacing it with the code used by the Maven Jcoverage plugin.

Unfortunately, Jcoverage is licensed under the GNU General Public License and as far as I can tell, the Maven Jcoverage plugin is licensed under the Apache Software Foundation License.  According to http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses (there are also more thoughts at http://york.gose.org/~rhm/archive/2004-03-12.html), the ASL is not compatible with the GPL.

It is my understanding that if I put code from the Maven Jcoverage plugin into Jcoverage that I would be in violation of the Jcoverage license.  License issues like this tend to confuse me, but I THINK that if the copyright holder(s) of the Maven Jcoverage plugin agreed to release a version of the plugin licensed as GPL instead of ASL then I would be able to do what I mentioned above.

Is that correct?  Does anyone know if something like this is possible?  I originally emailed the people I thought were the authors of the plugin (Brett Porter, Emmanuel Venisse, Dominik Dahlem), but they suggested emailing this list.  Brett said, "[t]he code, as part of the Apache Software Foundation, must have an Apache Software License 2.0."  That makes my request seem a lot less plausible to me...

My other alternatives are
1. Ask the Jcoverage authors to relicense as ASL (seems very unlikely to me)
2. Rewrite the Jcoverage HTML report generation code to generate nicer looking reports, but not use any code or ideas from the Maven Jcoverage plugin

Thanks,
Mark

Re: Maven Jcoverage Plugin License

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
>It is my understanding that if I put code from the Maven Jcoverage plugin into Jcoverage that I would be in violation of the Jcoverage license.

No, you wouldn't. As I said in my email, it is the other way around.

>License issues like this tend to confuse me, but I THINK that if the copyright holder(s) of the Maven Jcoverage plugin agreed to release a version of the plugin licensed as GPL instead of ASL then I would be able to do what I mentioned above.

No, we don't need to, so we won't. You can already do what you mentioned.

>Is that correct?  Does anyone know if something like this is possible?  I originally emailed the people I thought were the authors of the plugin (Brett Porter, Emmanuel Venisse, Dominik Dahlem), but they suggested emailing this list.  Brett said, "[t]he code, as part of the Apache Software Foundation, must have an Apache Software License 2.0."  That makes my request seem a lot less plausible to me...

We won't distribute a GPL version because (1) we can't, (2) we don't
need to.

>My other alternatives are
>1. Ask the Jcoverage authors to relicense as ASL (seems very unlikely to me)

This is only if you want to start including bits of jcoverage in the plugin.

This is the source of the confusion: you originally said that you wanted
this:
"I'm considering creating a fork of jcoverage GPL".

Said fork will need to be GPL. It can include bits of the plugin source
(but remains ASL) without any issues.

- Brett

Re: Maven Jcoverage Plugin License

Posted by Jerome Lacoste <je...@coffeebreaks.org>.
On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 11:22 -0400, Mark Doliner wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I like the HTML reports generated by the Maven Jcoverage plugin.  I'd like to modify jcoverage and create my own custom jcoverage.jar by removing the existing HTML report generation code and replacing it with the code used by the Maven Jcoverage plugin.
>
> Unfortunately, Jcoverage is licensed under the GNU General Public License and as far as I can tell, the Maven Jcoverage plugin is licensed under the Apache Software Foundation License.  According to http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses (there are also more thoughts at http://york.gose.org/~rhm/archive/2004-03-12.html), the ASL is not compatible with the GPL.
>
> It is my understanding that if I put code from the Maven Jcoverage plugin into Jcoverage that I would be in violation of the Jcoverage license.  License issues like this tend to confuse me, but I THINK that if the copyright holder(s) of the Maven Jcoverage plugin agreed to release a version of the plugin licensed as GPL instead of ASL then I would be able to do what I mentioned above.

Dual licensing of all or part of the code can also be possible.
That can also be done for a specific version of the code. Then both code
trees would inevitably fork.

But of course that depends on the copyright holders to agree.

Jerome