Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Matthew Stone <ma...@stone.org> on 2002/05/07 20:58:51 UTC

Server-wide TR.properties

Greetings.

Could someone please explain to me the correct way to configure Tomcat to
use several Turbine web-app's that are shared between each other.

For example, I have web-app's A, B & C.

A - contains velocity stuff and a Turbine service I created
B - contains another Turbine service I created
C - contains legacy jsp pages and acts as front end to A & B

I know it looks like I've answer my own questions below but please read it
all the way through if you are looking to help me because I think my answers
will help shed light on my confusion.

Here are my specific questions:

1. Where should the Turbine related JAR's be stored in the Tomcat directory
structure?  In \tomcat\lib or each respective \webapp\web-inf\lib directory?
I believe it should be the former for 2 reasons.  First it's cleaner than
having the JAR's duplicated.  Second and most important because the runtime
will create multiple instances of the TurbineServices singleton thus not
allowing web-app C to locate the services in A & B.

2. Should the services I've created in web-app's A & B be moved out of the
web-app into a shared location in the Tomcat directory?  Again I believe the
answer is yes because web-app C needs to be able to resolve the class names
for the services in A & B.

3. Finally the question I don't have the answer for.  If my answers are
correct for questions 1 & 2, how do I configure Tomcat to only use 1
TurbineResources.properties file.  For example, could I drop it into the
tomcat\conf directory and have it init all my services from there?  If so,
what XML file do I change and what should I put in it?  Right now web-app's
A & B each have their own unique TR.Prop files in their respective
\web-inf\conf directories and all of the settings are the same.  Then at the
end of the TR.prop file I use include=A.properties to specify specific
variables for service A and I also do the same thing for web-app B changing
the include=B.properties accordingly.  The bottom line is there a more
elegant way to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Matt

Re: Server-wide TR.properties

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Your message would be better addressed to the
tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org mailing list.