Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Alex O'Ree <al...@apache.org> on 2018/01/04 19:56:41 UTC

Auditing http traffic and performance monitoring

Greetings Karaf community.

Two questions:

1) I understand that Karaf can be used to host lots of different things,
however things that are used to serve up HTTP requests, is there any built
in mechanism for audit the message traffic for these HTTP requests (or any
other protocol for that matter)? My gut feeling is that the answer is no
since karaf is not a tomcat like web app container and supports a wider
variety of stuff via osgi. I think that any module deployed to karaf would
need to provide it's own mechanism for auditing. Is that correct?

2) Does karaf offer any kind of built in performance monitoring mechanisms
that can be queried remotely? I would image certain things are available
JMX but haven't looked too much into it. Any pointers for documentation
related to this is appreciated. I'm looking for any kind of performance
counters really but tracking stuff like messages in/out, bytes in/out, etc,
status of the modules, memory/cpu usage on a per module basis, response
times, etc

thanks!

Re: Auditing http traffic and performance monitoring

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Alex,

1) I guess your are using the OSGi HTTP service (so Pax Web). Then you can use
the Jetty NCSARequestLog (globally or per application). Karaf provides security
audit log.

2) Decanter can help you there: it can harvest all MBeans metrics (via the JMX
Collector). You can then check threading, number of messages, etc depending of
the MBeans. Decanter can also throws alerts.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré