Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2014/03/23 21:11:46 UTC

Help with JUnit4?

Has anyone got experience of extending JUnit4?

I want to get rid of the usage of JUnit3-style TestSuite and TestCase.
(Why? No reason other than an itch that using JUnit3 "junit.*" is old
stuff.)

These are used in the scripted tests because a TestSuite can have
variable number of tests and of variable type, a TestSuiet can contain a
TestSuite.

The working group tests from DAWG, SPARQL-WG and RDF 1.1 are scripted
with an RDF manifest file.  A manifest can refer to other manifests.

JUnit4 parameterized tests are not sufficient.  The best I got was to
turn a single manifest into a parameterized test set, with one test per
parameterization.  That makes naming messy (I got the class to have the
right name but each class instance has one test called the same thing
(e.g. "test").  I could not see how to include @Parameterized inside a
@Parameterized.

What I have ended up so far is having to implement a JUnit4 Runner,
actually 3 of them, one to take class to pick out the annotations for
the manifests and two variants for runner that is either a single
scripted test and a test manifest runner including sub-manifests as a tree.

I know Junti4 is a testing "framework" but I feel I have had to write a
lot of machinery for what was in JUnit3 quite simple.  I get the feeling
I've missed something somewhere.

Any ideas?

	Andy

Re: Help with JUnit4?

Posted by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>.
Andy,

I did a manifest runner in the new-tests project.  I'll have to go looking
for it but I recall doing it.  I think it took a manifest and ran it.
 Though it may have been a specific instance of manifest.

The internals of Junit4 are rather interesting and seemingly convoluted.

Claude

--
I like: Like Like - The likeliest place on the web<http://like-like.xenei.com>

Re: Help with JUnit4?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 28/03/14 21:14, Claude Warren wrote:
> The issue with junit4 is that the suite definition is in an annotation and
> therefore has to be defined at compile time, so there is no mechanism to
> define tests at runtime.
>
> manifest based code I did attempted to provide a mechanism to create the
> tests are runtime.  Perhaps there is a common point here such that we can
> build an annotation suite that will allow identification of a test suite
> using annotations but delay the creation of the tests until runtime so that
> further configuration can be applied.
>
> Thoughts?

What I've is name the manifest file in the annotations,

@RunWith(RunnerSPARQL.class)
@Label("SPARQL [main]")		// A display name.
@Manifests
   ({

    ".../sparql11-test-suite/manifest-arq-sparql11.ttl",
    "../ARQ/Serialization/manifest.ttl"
   })

The manifests are W3C format and can include other manifests.  They also
include manifest names and test names.  Not Java specific and the test
suite was used by all implementation reports.  Much the same approach is
used for RDF 1.1.

The RunnerSPARQL picks up the annotations at runtime and builds the test
tree.  Most of the code is SPARQL test specific.

Aside from the recursive fact that paring the manifests is done with
SPARQL to build the SPARQL test suite ... (and when it fails there is a
risk of a green line on less than all the tests!)

There is some sort of common point in the tree of tests, both you and
Jeremy have similar structures.  It isn't huge though.

	Andy

Re: Help with JUnit4?

Posted by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>.

Re: Help with JUnit4?

Posted by Jeremy J Carroll <jj...@syapse.com>.

Re: Help with JUnit4?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 26/03/14 21:01, Claude Warren wrote:
> Andy,
>
> Sorry - I got buried at work.  Would you like me to look at running the
> tests in question with the new tests or do you have a solution already done.

Thanks and quite understandable.

I have a solution, and it works so far - I'd like to understand the
internals of JUnit4 better but, realistically, the list of things I'd
like to understand better seems to grow over time.

It's not a blocker and I'll see if the solution works for Quack/Lizard
testing.  The current ARQ test code works to writing it "better" isn't
urgent in anyway and it would only disturb it speculatively .

We (you, me, jeremy) seem to have ended up in a similar place.  That's
reassuring to me that I haven't missed the obvious.

	Andy

Re: Help with JUnit4?

Posted by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>.
Andy,

--
I like: Like Like - The likeliest place on the web<http://like-like.xenei.com>

Re: Help with JUnit4?

Posted by Jeremy Carroll <jj...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 26, 2014, at 12:37 PM, Jeremy Carroll <jj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wrote this
>
> http://sourceforge.net/p/oriented/src/ci/master/tree/oriented/src-test/test/BetterParameterized.java

That overstates what I did. I did not like the built-in Parameterized which names the tests 1, 2, 3 etc.
Unfortunately modifying it in an elegant way proved difficult, and this modification involves some copy/paste :(

Re: Help with JUnit4?

Posted by Jeremy Carroll <jj...@gmail.com>.
I wrote this

http://sourceforge.net/p/oriented/src/ci/master/tree/oriented/src-test/test/BetterParameterized.java

an example of its usage is:

http://sourceforge.net/p/oriented/src/ci/master/tree/oriented/src-test/test/TestExamples2.java

not sure if any of that is relevant, but if it is I am more than happy to change the license (currently GPL) for use in Jena …

That the way it may work for your problem is that the method annotated @Parameters would read the manifest and return a collection of arrays of things.
Each array is then used to initialized some tests (both with the constructor args, and to generate the test name with the method annotated @TestName)
and then for each one the tests annotated with @Test are run (I guess you may only have one of these)

Jeremy