Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/16 11:57:02 UTC

[PROPOSAL] [USER EXPERIENCE] - Create ooo-ux mailing list

Hello All,

I would like to propose the creation of an
ooo-ux@incubator.apache.orgmailing list.

The frequency of UX-related discussions are increasing, and interest in the
UX community is growing.

It's time to create a mailing list to focus the conversation, and channel
our creative energy ;)

I volunteer to be a moderator, and would welcome a few others to join me.

I am a Certified User Experience Professional with 15 years experience
leading, managing and delivering user experience projects.

Regards,
Kevin

AOO User Experience Designer

Re: [PROPOSAL] [USER EXPERIENCE] - Create ooo-ux mailing list

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

2012/5/16 Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>

> Hello All,
>
> I would like to propose the creation of an
> ooo-ux@incubator.apache.orgmailing list.
>
> The frequency of UX-related discussions are increasing, and interest in the
> UX community is growing.
>
> It's time to create a mailing list to focus the conversation, and channel
> our creative energy ;)
>
> I volunteer to be a moderator, and would welcome a few others to join me.
>
> I am a Certified User Experience Professional with 15 years experience
> leading, managing and delivering user experience projects.

+1

Kevin, create on JIRA about mailing list. :)

You need have at least three moderators.

Albino

Re: [PROPOSAL] [USER EXPERIENCE] - Create ooo-ux mailing list

Posted by Albino Biasutti Neto <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

I'll reinforce what Rob said.

We can use the marketing list, the UX is also a form of marketing

ooo-marketing [at] incubator [dot] apache [dot] org

Albino

Re: [PROPOSAL] [USER EXPERIENCE] - Create ooo-ux mailing list

Posted by Yue Helen <he...@gmail.com>.
I will personally join the UX discussion...although not sure if I have time
to be the moderator; if you do need the 3rd one, I'm happy to help for
now.  I'm not a UX profession, but I ever had a small UX design team, and
involved a lot of discussion with them, and I knew office product quite
well and very interested in this area ^o*.

Good that some people here are interested to join the discussion...I
suggest we can do discussion on both lists with different focus. UX mail
list and blog gives us some space to focus on UX
strategy/plan/design/issues, while we still need to reach users/developers
on the dev list or user list to get their voice quite frequently...for
example, do the user study, and get feedback, review designs, and actually
many to do! Let's give it a try...

Helen

Posted by Juergen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hello All,

Thanks for the input. Here is what I'm hearing...

- project acknowledges that design matters, this is great
- interest in UX-related activities and supporting discussion is high
- UX community, is just restarting, and is still growing it's numbers
- development would prefer to have visibility into the design conversation
- design and development need to work together
- if a ux mailing list were created, it should only be a tool as part of a
broader UX community development strategy
- ux planning is different that a design conversation

Some good thoughts here. Thanks for sharing.

Based on this feedback here are some thoughts and proposal to move forward,

- to keep design and development working closely on the enhancement of our
current offering, and to work together on the design direction of future
release let's continue to use ooo-dev for user experience discussions
- given our limited UX resources, this is less effort, and requires less
co-ordination, admin and maintenance
- we will continue to tag subject lines
- we can shrink our current tag from [USER EXPERIENCE DESIGN] to [UX]
- we can also add secondary tags to make the subject lines easier for
ooo-dev subscribes to scan and parse
- some examples:
[PROPOSAL][UX]
[UX][PLANNING]
[UX][RESEARCH]
[UX][DESIGN]
[UX][REQUEST FOR DESIGN FEEDBACK]
etc...
 - we will try to make the tags simple, understandable and align with the
information architecture of our UX wiki, so it is obvious where information
comes from and where it needs to go
- we will try to standardize this tags, and publish this information to
allow people to create email rules
- we will iterate on this process and we move forward
- the UX community can identify resources to ensure that all UX related
threads are addressed, like a sub-moderator
- we'd request that the formal ooo-dev moderators keep us honest on this
activity ;)
- I volunteer to assume this responsibility moving forward

 Thoughts? Feedback welcome.

In the interim, I will continue to update the AOO UX wiki, and start to
promote our open activities and seek volunteers.

Regards,
Kevin

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hello All,

Re: "[UX]" and "where then do we go from here?"

I've create a new AOO UX home page on the mediawiki:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Apache_OpenOffice_User_Experience

>From this page the UX community can start to self-organize and get to work!

To join the UX community, visit the new UX community member page:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/AOO_User_Experience_Community_Membersand
capture you information.

Please spread the word :)

Regards,
Kevin

Re: [UX] The Save Process continued

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Fri, 18 May 2012 16:11:51 +0200
RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/5/18 Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>:
> > On Fri, 18 May 2012 06:26:33 +0100
> > Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:
> >
> >> One aspect of the User Experience which frequently manifests itself for Users is a bad file save, leading to a corrupt file, which is partially or totally irrecoverable
> >
> > Sorry!  My previous posting got away before I had completed it.
> >
> > In my programming days (some 25-30 years ago) it was de rigeur that the original file was never over-written until the new file had been completely saved, so that if there was a crash (app, OS, or power failure) the original file existed, perhaps as a .bak file, but there, untouched.  This does not happen in OpenOffice (all forks as far as I know). Some thought needs to be given to this and to the defaults of the backup ("always create backup" to be on by default).
> >
> > Many of the instances of corrupt files are caused by User error (too quick shutdown before write buffers are flushed?); a part of the User Experience is to ensure against the stupidity of Users.
> >

> +1
>
> There is also a second, less harmful, problem with the save file
> work-flow: it is quite easy to accidentally uncheck the "add file
> extension" on the save dialogue so every now and then we get on the
> forums windows users that do not know how to open a file because when
> they double click on it the OS do not recognize it. Maybe we need to
> eliminate that option and always save with the correct file extension?

Yes, Ricardo, I agree.  That option should bbe the default and the switch to turn it off should be well hidden (but available to those who really need it).  On the Forum we often get Users complaining that the OS cannot identify their file; diagnosis is almost always that the file has no extension (Windows is stupid about identifying file applications if no extension!).

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

RE: [UX] The Save Process continued

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I agree with Regina that deciding whether and how to add an extension automatically is a tricky case.

I also suspect that the dialog may be standard bits from the platform, at least in the case of Windows.

 - Dennis

> There is also a second, less harmful, problem with the save file
> work-flow: it is quite easy to accidentally uncheck the "add file
> extension" on the save dialogue so every now and then we get on the
> forums windows users that do not know how to open a file because
> when they double click on it the OS do not recognize it. Maybe we
> need to eliminate that option and always save with the correct file
> extension?

There is no "correct" file extension for all cases. For example consider
text vs csv. But it might help, when the state of the check box is not
remembered, but always starts with being checked.

Kind regards
Regina

> Regards Ricardo

> >> There is no "correct" file extension for all cases. For example
> >> consider text vs csv. But it might help, when the state of the check
> >> box is not remembered, but always starts with being checked.

Currently, this check box is indeed always checked when the "save as" dialog opens, with WinXP and Win7, at least.

That does not alter the fact, that for Windows users this checkbox is 1) totally useless 2) confusing and therefore producing unnecessary support cases.
1) From an UX perspective, a file without file name extension is broken.
2) An option that is not really optional is confusing. Confusion is the most counterproductive UX.

To add some more complexity, there are differences in behavior on WinXP versus Win7.

WinXP: In case of a new document, the default suggestion in the input field for the file name has no extension, i.e. it reads "Untitled 1". If you uncheck automatic extensions and then forget to manually add the correct extension, your file is saved without extension, which essentially means broken.

Win7: The default suggestion in the input field has the default extension for this file type added, i.e. it reads "Untitled 1.odt" with a new writer document. When the user unchecks automatic extensions before or after changing the name, the default extension is still there. Most users will only change the file name part and not delete the extension, I think. So the risk of getting a broken file is somewhat reduced on Win7.

By far most of OpenOffice users work with Windows. I really can't see a reason to stick with a counterproductive automatic extensions check box.

> > You have a point here... ;)
> >
> > But this makes me think on the difference between "Save As" and
> > "Export": if you create a cvs file from a spreadsheet document I think
> > you are "exporting" it, not just "saving us" because you are losing
> > format and properties like formulas, etc.
> >
> > I think that those specially ambiguous file types belongs to "Export"
> > (which is now pretty empty), not to "Save / Save As". By reorganizing
> > "Export" and "Save / Save As" it is possible to let the file extension
> > option on the Export dialogue and erase it from "Save / Save As". Does
> > this make sense?
>
> Currently a filetype goes to "Save/ Save As", when an export _and_ an
> import filter exists. It does not distinguish whether something is lost.
> If you do not save to 'ODF1.2 extended' always something is lost.
>
> I remember there had been a similar discussion on OOo, and especially
> saving to .doc had been controversial. And also the discussion about this
> check box is not new and as far as I remember the removal of that check box
> has been rejected. But I would need to search for those discussions.
>
> Kind regards
> Regina

Kind regards, Hans

Re: [UX] The Save Process continued

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Ricardo,

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

[UX] The Save Process

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2012/5/17 Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>:
> FWIW, I meant what I said about promoting the
> idea of a separate UX group here.  Early efforts
> to fork off subgroups are often failures at Apache,
> and they don't need to be if you keep all the traffic
> on the dev list.  Using tags like [UX] in the subject
> are a good way of getting a gauge for how much talking
> needs to be done on-list about the topic.   If it becomes
> burdensome or distractive to discuss UX here, THEN ask
> for a list.

+1.

Regards
Ricardo

Re: [PROPOSAL] [USER EXPERIENCE] - Create ooo-ux mailing list

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
FWIW, I meant what I said about promoting the
idea of a separate UX group here.  Early efforts
to fork off subgroups are often failures at Apache,
and they don't need to be if you keep all the traffic
on the dev list.  Using tags like [UX] in the subject
are a good way of getting a gauge for how much talking
needs to be done on-list about the topic.   If it becomes
burdensome or distractive to discuss UX here, THEN ask
for a list.

HTH

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.

Posted by Xin Li <lx...@gmail.com>.
+1. count me in

2012/5/17 Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>

> On Wednesday, May 16, 2012, Dave Fisher wrote:
>

> > On May 16, 2012, at 11:30 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> in
> > the
> > >>

> > > From what I can tell, creating a new mailing list by itself does
> > > nothing to increase activity level in an area.  We can look at the
> > > ooo-marketing and ooo-qa lists for examples of lists that were
> > > created, but then nothing much happened.  They are buckets, not
> > > communities.  And they never reached a critical mass of participation.
> > > At least not yet.
> >
> > Please keep discussing UX here on ooo-dev. Everyone is interested.
>

> +1 Suggest subj title [USX] here for all topics within User Experience
> space.
>

> > Regards,
> > Dave
> >

> > > But we have other lists that have been successful.  Some of the native
> > > language lists, for example have done quite well.
> > >
> > > So if you do go for a separate UX list, I'd highly recommend that you
> > > couple it with some outreach and recruitment plan that goes beyond the
> > > participants on the ooo-dev list.  Maybe a blog post would help,
> > > something that we can promote via our other tools (social media,
> > > announcement list, etc.) to bring new interested parties to the new
> > > list.
> > >
> > > -Rob

> > channel

> > me.

--
Best regards,
Xin Li   李欣

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paulo de Souza Lima <pa...@varekai.org>.
2012/5/16 Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>

> Hello All,
>
> I would like to propose the creation of an
> ooo-ux@incubator.apache.orgmailing list.
>
> The frequency of UX-related discussions are increasing, and interest in the
> UX community is growing.
>
> It's time to create a mailing list to focus the conversation, and channel
> our creative energy ;)
>
> I volunteer to be a moderator, and would welcome a few others to join me.

I'm not sure if I am eligible to be a moderator, but if I am, I would be
happy to contribute on it.

> I am a Certified User Experience Professional with 15 years experience
> leading, managing and delivering user experience projects.
>
> Regards,
> Kevin
>
> AOO User Experience Designer

Regards.