Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by David Goldsmith <dg...@sans.org> on 2006/06/07 19:40:01 UTC

Odd DCC Hit

Re: Odd DCC Hit

Posted by David Goldsmith <dg...@sans.org>.

Re: Odd DCC Hit

Posted by David Goldsmith <dg...@sans.org>.

Matt Kettler wrote:
> David Goldsmith wrote:
>> I just got a posting from the pen-test Security Focus mailing list.
>> Here are the scores it got:

>>         UNPARSEABLE_RELAY,URIBL_BLACK autolearn=no version=3.1.3
>
> <snip>
>> I can possibly understand the "list sponsored by <XXX>" website URL
>> being in a URIBL and generating a hit but how could this messages have
>> generated "many" hits from DCC?
>
> That's quite normal for really large mailing lists. DCC does NOT
> strictly match spam. It matches bulk mail. Period.

I realized that.

> DCC does not care if that bulk is a result of spamming, or merely
> large-scale distribution. The security focus mailing lists have a truly
> huge scale of distribution, and many subscribers there use DCC. Most of
> those subscribers, such as yourself, are not using DCC correctly.
>
> By default, every message received by your site is reported to the DCC
> system. Every message. Spam or not.

I hadn't realized that.  I thought I was just querying.

> In general, to DCC there's no difference between checking and reporting.
> Thus, you must to configure DCC to explicitly whitelist messages from
> your legitamate bulk senders, as otherwise they will be reported as soon
> as you receive the message.

Ok, so I have dcc-1.3.35 installed from source tarball. The config files
are under /var/dcc.  This specific mailing list adds the following
List-Id header:

I created a new whitelist-sans file and added "include whitelist-sans"
to both the 'whiteclnt' and 'whitelist' file right after the include
directive for the 'whitecommon' file.  In my 'whitelist-sans' file, I
added the following lines:

  # SecurityFocus
  ok      substitute List-Id: <pen-test.list-id.securityfocus.com>

Running my sample message thru 'dccproc < foo | more', I still see it
appears to query DCC since it is adding the 'X-DCC-######-Metrics:' header.

I looked through the 'dcc_conf' file and saw that for the DCCM_ARGS and
DCCIFD_ARGS variables, it was only adding '-SList-ID' by default so I
added '-SList-Id' but the message is apparently still being submitted.

Can you provide any pointers as to what I am missing in order to make
DCC apply the whitelisting rules?

Thanks,
Dave

Re: Odd DCC Hit