Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> on 2007/02/20 18:23:16 UTC

[ip clearance] recording CCLA Schedule B software grants

Currently the ip clearance template [1] specifies:
> 3. Receipt of the software grant form must be acknowledged by an Officer of the ASF by recording in grants.txt. In most normal circumstances, the officer should be the ASF Secretary.

And in the Copyright section:
> Identify name recorded for software grant: the name of the grant as record in the grants.txt document so that the grant can be easily identified

But there are two ways to submit a software grant:

- Software grant [2]
- CCLA Schedule B [3]

I clarified with Jim how specifically CCLA Schedule B (and addendums to
Schedule B) get handled. In the past sometimes tSchedule B has been
added to grants.txt, but now is being recorded in the cclas.txt file
instead.

So, we need to update the references to grants.txt to also include
cclas.txt (new words between ***):

3. Receipt of the software grant form must be acknowledged by an Officer
of the ASF by recording in grants.txt ***or cclas.txt***. In most normal
circumstances, the officer should be the ASF Secretary.

Identify name recorded for software grant: the name of the grant as
record in the grants.txt ***or cclas.txt*** document so that the grant
can be easily identified

Are there any objections? If not, I'll go ahead change these references.

regards,

 -jean

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html
[2] http://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt
[3] http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt

Re: [ip clearance] recording CCLA Schedule B software grants

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
I went ahead and made the changes to the template info.
I also made sure to remind people that the actual
grant itself (either the CCLA or the grant) needs to be
filed with the secretary, so it can be physically filed
(and scanned).

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Jim Jagielski wrote:
> No, a FAXed copy is fine. It's just that if someone rec's the
> grant, they can't just "log" it in the cclas.txt/grants.txt file
> and keep it. I need a copy as well.
>
> We need to further clarify that such docs can be accepted either
> by:
>
>   o Hardcopy snail-mailed to officer (and secretary)
>   o FAXed copy to officer (and secretary)
>   o Scanned version Emailed to secretary@apache.org
>     *as well as* legal-archive@apache.org

thanks for the clarification!

-jean

Re: [ip clearance] recording CCLA Schedule B software grants

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
oh, hee hee, Jim already made the change to bullet 3 in revision 509668.
 :-)

For those not on the commit notices, Jim also added:

> the officer should be the ASF Secretary, who must be provided an original copy of the grant or CCLA in any case.

I hadn't realized that. So, in addition to faxing the software grant, be
sure to mail a hardcopy original.

thanks, Jim!

 -jean