Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Lalitha Prasad <la...@hotmail.com> on 2005/06/07 09:26:33 UTC

FOP Supports Multiple Charset ?

Hi,

  I need to print Special Charactors in PDF file. ie. Trade Marks  and etc.

Is it possible to print more than two Charsets usinf FOP?.

Thanks in Advance,
LALITH

Re: FOP Supports Multiple Charset ?

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Use a proper XML editor to create XML files and you won't have problems
like that. Obviously, you create invalid XML files, probably with a
normal text editor, right? But even if you use ISO-8859-1 you can use
the same character references as shown in the links I gave you earlier.

On 07.06.2005 11:22:32 Lalitha Prasad wrote:
> If the Charset is "UTF-8". I got the following exceptions:
>
> 1. "javax.servlet.ServletException: Invalid byte 1 of 1-byte UTF-8
> sequence."   and
> 2. "javax.servlet.ServletException: An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0x19)
> was fou
> nd in the element content of the document."
>
> I have changed the Charset from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1. Now I cann't print some
> Special Charactors on the PDF eventhough those characters are displaying in
> HTML Interfaces.
>
> Please help me in this regard. We are using "Fop -xsl foo.xsl -xml foo.xml
> -pdf foo.pdf" pattern forgenerating PDF files using FOP.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> LALITH
>

> >From: Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>
> >To: fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org
> >Subject: Re: FOP Supports Multiple Charset ?
> >Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 10:22:37 +0200
> >
> >We'd appreciate if you would post questions on FOP to the fop-user
> >mailing list next time. Thank you.
> >
> >Since we have XML charsets are less of a problem today. I suggest you
> >use UTF-8 as encoding for your XML documents so you have the full
> >Unicode charset available to you which can map every character you will
> >need.
> >
> >Please have a look at the following example FO file:
> >
> >examples/fo/basic/fonts.fo (in the FOP distribution)
> >or
> >http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-fop/examples/fo/basic/fonts.fo?rev=1.3&view=markup
> >
> >Some additional info here:
> >http://xml.apache.org/fop/fo.html#xml-special-chars
> >
> >On 07.06.2005 09:26:33 Lalitha Prasad wrote:
> > >   I need to print Special Charactors in PDF file. ie. Trade Marks  and
> >etc.
> > >
> > > Is it possible to print more than two Charsets usinf FOP?.
> >

> >Jeremias Maerki

Jeremias Maerki

Re: FOP Supports Multiple Charset ?

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
The theory is to specify multiple font-families which the formatter then
uses as necessary:

<fo:block font-family="Helvetica Symbol">Normal text and a symbol &#8805;
and again some text.</fo:block>

But as theory goes, this is not yet implemented in FOP. So there's no
easy method.

On 09.06.2005 06:42:20 Lalitha Prasad wrote:
> Yes , we can print the special characters using different fonts ( ie. Symbol
> ). But i need to print original chars also.It seems very difficult to apply
> muliple font for muliple occurences of special Characters.
>
> Do you have any easy method to print one paragraph with different
> font-families?. I can apply different fonts by using XSL and XSL:FO.
>
>               <fo:in-line font-family="Symbol">&#8805;</fo:in-line>. i can
> print '¡Ü' in PDF.
>

> If you know any easy method. please let me know.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: FOP Supports Multiple Charset ?

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Lalitha Prasad wrote:
> Hi Pietschmann,
                      ^^^^
This must be a proper URL, not a file name.

I don't think putting more than a font triple inside a font is going to
work, at the very least your bold/italic would look like normal.
You'll probably have to get italic/bold versions of the font as well.
FOP can't generate italic or bold versions from a normal font.

> But i am getting the following Exception:
>
> exception typenull
> org.apache.jasper.JasperException

Well, you ultimately caught a wrapper exception with no message. That's
bad both for your application and for tracking down the cause of the
problem.

> What might be the reason?

I have no idea. Wrap a try/catch block around the FOP code and log
any exception you get.

J.Pietschmann

Re: FOP Supports Multiple Charset ?

Posted by Lalitha Prasad <la...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Pietschmann,

Thanks you.I am able to generate font metrics file. Also I have sucessfully
generated PDF with all Characters. But from the Application it is not
working.Here in my jsp i have mentioned like this.

  File userConfigFile = new
File(application.getRealPath(System.getProperty("file.separator"))+System.getProperty("file.separator")+"WEB-INF"+System.getProperty("file.separator")+"userconfig.xml");
	  Options options = new Options(userConfigFile);
response.addHeader("Content-Disposition","attachment;filename=APLAC_"+ptlNumber+".pdf");
	  Driver driver = new Driver();
                  driver.setLogger(log);
                   driver.setRenderer(Driver.RENDER_PDF);
driver.setOutputStream(out1);
driver.render(inputHandler.getParser(), inSource);				  byte[] content =
out1.toByteArray();
                 response.setContentLength(content.length);
response.getOutputStream().write(content);
response.getOutputStream().flush();

userconfig.xml file is as:

<!--<!DOCTYPE configuration SYSTEM "config.dtd">-->
<!--
     this file contains templates which allow an user easy
     configuration of Fop. Actually normally you don't need this
configuration
     file, but if you need to change configuration, you should
     always use this file and *not* config.xml.
     Usage: java org.apache.fop.apps.Fop -c userconfig.xml -fo fo-file -pdf
pdf-file
-->
<configuration>
<!--
baseDir: normally the base directory is the directory where the fo file is
         located. if you want to specify your own, uncomment this entry.
         This value can also be a URL. Actually, the value is converted to
         a URL.
-->
<!--
  <entry>
    <key>baseDir</key>
    <value></value>
  </entry>
-->

<!--
fontBaseDir: Similar to baseDir, except that this value is used for fonts.
If
         it isn't specified, the value from baseDir is used.
-->

  <entry>
    <key>fontBaseDir</key>
    <value></value>
  </entry>

<!--
                        HYPHENATION
-->

<!--
   hyphenation directory
   if you want to specify your own directory with hyphenation pattern
   then uncomment the next entry and add the directory name
-->

<!--
  <entry>
    <key>hyphenation-dir</key>
    <value>/java/xml-fop/hyph</value>
  </entry>
-->

<!--
  Add fonts here

-->

<fonts>
<!-- example -->
embed-file="c:/winnt/fonts/Arialuni.TTF" kerning="yes">
</fonts>
</configuration>

I have tried with all type of paths like
http://localhost:8090/glaxo/arialuni.xml.

But i am getting the following Exception:

exception typenull
org.apache.jasper.JasperException
        at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper
.java:254)
        at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:2
95)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:241)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDisp
atcher.java:684)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward(ApplicationD
ispatcher.java:432)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.forward(ApplicationDis
patcher.java:356)
        at
com.as.web.framework.ControlServlet.doGet(ControlServlet.java:162)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(Appl
icationFilterChain.java:247)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationF
ilterChain.java:193)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperV
alve.java:256)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContex
t.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.jav
a:480)
        at

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextV
alve.java:191)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContex
t.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.jav
a:480)
        at

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:
2417)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.j
ava:180)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContex
t.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatche
rValve.java:171)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContex
t.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.j
ava:172)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContex
t.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.jav
a:480)
        at

        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineVal
ve.java:174)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContex
t.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.jav
a:480)
        at

        at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:19
3)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java
:781)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.proce
ssConnection(Http11Protocol.java:549)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java
:589)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadP
ool.java:666)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

If i mention "ArialUnicodeMS" font-family in XSL.then only I am getting this
exception.Otherwise it will open PDF with normal old font.

What might be the reason?. Please help me.

Regards,
LALITH

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Lalitha Prasad <la...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

  While generating font metrics file . I am getting the following exception:

C:\Java\fop-0.20.5>java -cp
"fop.jar;avalon-framework.jar;xml-apis.jar;xercesImp
l-2.2.1.jar;xalan-2.4.1.jar" org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader
C:\Java\fop-0.2
0.5\Arialuni.ttf C:\Java\fop-0.20.5\arialuni.xml
TTF Reader v1.1.1

Reading C:\Java\fop-0.20.5\Arialuni.ttf...

Number of glyphs in font: 51180
Postscript format 3
Creating xml font file...

Creating CID encoded metrics
Writing xml font file C:\Java\fop-0.20.5\arialuni.xml...

javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: java.io.FileNotFoundException:
file:\C
:\Java\fop-0.20.5\arialuni.xml (The filename, directory name, or volume
label sy
ntax is incorrect)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.createResultCont
entHandler(TransformerIdentityImpl.java:263)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.transform(Transf
ormerIdentityImpl.java:296)
        at
org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.writeFontXML(TTFReader.java:243)
        at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.main(TTFReader.java:196)
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException:
file:\C:\Java\fop-0.20.5\arialuni.xml
(The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.createResultCont
entHandler(TransformerIdentityImpl.java:253)
        ... 3 more
---------
java.io.FileNotFoundException: file:\C:\Java\fop-0.20.5\arialuni.xml (The
filena
me, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.createResultCont
entHandler(TransformerIdentityImpl.java:253)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.transform(Transf
ormerIdentityImpl.java:296)
        at
org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.writeFontXML(TTFReader.java:243)
        at org.apache.fop.fonts.apps.TTFReader.main(TTFReader.java:196)
This font contains no embedding license restrictions

What might be the reason. All jar and other Font ttf files are in the same
directory.

Please help me.

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Lalitha Prasad <la...@hotmail.com>.
Yes , we can print the special characters using different fonts ( ie. Symbol
). But i need to print original chars also.It seems very difficult to apply
muliple font for muliple occurences of special Characters.

Do you have any easy method to print one paragraph with different
font-families?. I can apply different fonts by using XSL and XSL:FO.

              <fo:in-line font-family="Symbol">&#8805;</fo:in-line>. i can
print 'ĄÜ' in PDF.

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Lalitha Prasad <la...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Pietschmann,

Thanks for your reply.

  The main pointing issue is we should display the following list of
Characters in PDF.

  http://courses.chem.psu.edu/chem38/technical/special-characters.html

We are doing Drugs related project. Users will paste the information from MS
Word into our Applications Form. We have provided the Print option for
taking Printouts.For that we are using FOP.

It is displaying correctly in our JSPs.

Can we display these Characters in PDF using FOP?.

If possible please send me that information ASAP.

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Lalitha Prasad <la...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.