Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Fernando Israel <fe...@kognoz.com> on 2010/07/31 02:21:18 UTC

FOP hangs

Hi All,

I have been using FOP for a while and have it working on a server (Fedora 9,
Java 6u11, Tomcat 5.5 and Axis 1.4).

When a run the same code in a different server (Fedora 8, Java 6u20, Tomcat
5.5 and Axis 1.4), the code simply hangs in the line

*Fop fop = fopFactory.newFop(MimeConstants.MIME_PDF, foUserAgent, out); *

The line is within a try/catch where I catch Exception. However, no
exceptions thrown.

I have tried both FOP-0.95 and FOP-1.0.

To give you a bit more information, the code is basically an axis web
service, that gets called by a client. When it reaches the line above, I
know it hangs because I have println statements before and after, and never
passes that line, and the client behaves as having got a reply -i.e.
continues its thread, but the server never sends a response back because it
hangs on that line (I see that using axis's SOAP monitor).

Any ideas what this might be ?.

The most difficult bit is the lack of exeptions being thorwn. Is like flying
blind.

Thanks very much in advance,
Fernando

Re: FOP hangs

Posted by Fernando Israel <fe...@kognoz.com>.
Hi Craig,

I have followed your advise and attached a debugger. Since this is a remote
server the process was painfully slow.

So I did not manage to get to the bottom of it, but in the process I
realized that a couple of jars required at runtime were missing. Put them in
and that fixed the issue.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

*Fernando Israel*
Managing Director
tel: +598(2) 900 0159
cel: +598(99) 275 928
web: www.kognoz.com

Re: FOP hangs

Posted by Craig Ringer <cr...@postnewspapers.com.au>.

Re: FOP hangs

Posted by Manuel Mall <ma...@apache.org>.
As you run under a Linux OS simply do a 'kill 3 <pid>' where pid is the Unix
process id of the tomcat process. You then will find a complete JVM stack
trace in the tomcat log file (typically catalina.out). That should
significantly help to determine where your application is hanging.