Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Jack Sprat <re...@yahoo.com> on 2007/07/25 00:22:23 UTC

[Axis2] SOAPMonitorApplet port

I've followed the instructions for setting up the SOAP monitor applet here:
http://ws.apache.org/axis2/1_2/soapmonitor-module.html

Whenever I start my server I get the following errors:

2007-07-24 18:18:20,468 ERROR SOAPMonitorService - Unable to open server socket using port: 5001
2007-07-24 18:18:20,484 ERROR SOAPMonitorService - Address already in use: JVM_Bind

It does not seem to matter what port is used.

What am I doing wrong?

---------------------------------

Re: [Axis2] SOAPMonitorApplet port

Posted by Jack Sprat <re...@yahoo.com>.
The SOAP monitor is now working fine in my Axis2 web service.
Many thanks to Robert Lazasrki for the assistance.

It turns out that the port error occurs only when running Tomcat 5.5 within Eclipse.  Also the messages referring to a null handler for the SOAP monitor phase can be ignored.

One other confusing aspect of getting this running is that the port specified in the web.xml file is NOT the port used in the URL of the SOAP monitor.  For example, port 5001 was defined in the web.xml file but the URL is:
http://localhost:8080/service_name/SOAPMonitor
I was trying:
http://localhost:5001/service_name/SOAPMonitor

robert lazarski <ro...@gmail.com> wrote: Search for 'Deploying module' - you may be doing it twice as that's
the only thing I can think of. Sure you only have one war with axis2 ?
When you shutdown tomcat, is java.exe still holding on to ports 5001,
3901 etc ?

BTW, I just tested the soapmonitor with the 1.3 branch nightly from
yesterday and it can use other ports like 3901 just fine. I'll improve
the debugging a little to indicate what port its going to bind to.

A suggestion is to use the 1.3 branch war as I mentioned last post -
it'll be final shortly and as I said with that code I can't reproduce
your problem.

Also, sure, send me the logs off list and maybe I'll see something.

HTH,
Robert

---------------------------------

Re: [Axis2] SOAPMonitorApplet port

Posted by Jack Sprat <re...@yahoo.com>.
It looks like the port binding error occurs only when starting Tomcat 5.5 within the Eclipse WTP.  I don't see the error when deploying the WAR file directly to Tomcat 5.5

However I see this message 12 times upon startup:
Handler null added to Phase soapmonitorPhase

Then when I invoke an operation I see:
Invoking Handler 'null' in Phase 'soapmonitorPhase'

My logging module works fine so I am fairly sure I deployed the SOAP monitor module right.

On 7/27/07, Jack Sprat  wrote:
> [...]
> > Robert
> >
> > On 7/26/07, Jack Sprat wrote:
> > > Hi Robert.
> > >
> > > I used ActivePorts for Windows, as suggested earlier. This showed the
> port
> > > specified in web.xml as occupied by javaw.exe.
> > >
> > > What could be the problem here?
> > >
> > > Thanks again for trying to help.
> > >

> > > robert lazarski wrote:
> > > I'm not a windows user, but you do have the netstat command that can
> > > help you track your occupied ports. On linux it'd be 'netstat -ancp |
> > > grep 5001' .
> > >
> > > You can engage the module in either services.xml or axis2.xml - but
> > > not both. engaging in axis2.xml make the module available for all
> > > services, whereas alternatively engaging in the services,xml makes to
> > > module available to just that service.
> > >
> > > If all else fails, you could use tcpmon as an alternative.

---------------------------------
Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

Re: [Axis2] SOAPMonitorApplet port

Posted by robert lazarski <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jack Sprat <re...@yahoo.com>.
Robert,

robert lazarski <ro...@gmail.com> wrote: What version are you using?

On 7/26/07, Jack Sprat  wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Only the Java executable (javaw.exe) is using the port.  It does not matter
> what port I set in web.xml - it is always in use by the Java executable.
> I thought I could find an open port, but it does not seem to matter which
> one I use.  It is *always* taken by javaw.exe.
>
> It''s almost like Axis2 is reserving the port and then trying to use it
> again, causing the bind error.
>
>  Thanks,
>

> robert lazarski  wrote:
>  What is connected to 3901 ? There's 65,000 or so ports, so I'm sure
> you should be able to find one of them open ;-) .
>
> HTH,
> Robert
>
> On 7/26/07, Jack Sprat wrote:
> > Hi Robert.
> >
> > I used ActivePorts for Windows, as suggested earlier. This showed the port
> > specified in web.xml as occupied by javaw.exe.
> >
> > What could be the problem here?
> >
> > Thanks again for trying to help.
> >

> > robert lazarski wrote:
> > I'm not a windows user, but you do have the netstat command that can
> > help you track your occupied ports. On linux it'd be 'netstat -ancp |
> > grep 5001' .
> >
> > You can engage the module in either services.xml or axis2.xml - but
> > not both. engaging in axis2.xml make the module available for all
> > services, whereas alternatively engaging in the services,xml makes to
> > module available to just that service.
> >
> > If all else fails, you could use tcpmon as an alternative.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Robert
> >
> > On 7/25/07, Jack Sprat wrote:
> > > Hi Robert.
> > >
> > > Thanks for trying to help. This has me quite confused.
> > > The Tomcat console says that the server socket on the port specified in
> > > web.xml cannot be opened. If I set port 3901 then the console says port
> > > 3901 cannot be opened. Same for port 5001.
> > > The ports show as used by the javaw.exe process.
> > >
> > > My only other question on the SOAP monitor applet is where to set the
> > module
> > > ref. I have this set in the services.xml file. This is the same as the
> > > logging module, with the instructions here:
> > > http://ws.apache.org/axis2/1_1/modules.html
> > > But the SOAP monitor page says to set the module reference in the
> > axis2.xml
> > > file. Which is right?
> > >
> > > Axis2 with Tomcat 5.5
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >

> > > robert lazarski wrote:
> > > When you set the port to 3901, does it still say cannot connect to
> > > 5001? Can you try RC2? I'll try to give this scenario a spin today.
> > >
> > > HTH,
> > > Robert

> applet
> > > > >
> > http://ws.apache.org/axis2/1_2/soapmonitor-module.html

> > server
> in
> > > use:

---------------------------------
Got a little couch potato?

Re: [Axis2] SOAPMonitorApplet port

Posted by Jack Sprat <re...@yahoo.com>.
I'm using Axis2 version 1.2.
I've already got a log4j.xml config. file in place.  I'll set the debugging level on oprg.apache to DEBUG and post back.

Thanks again for the help.

---------------------------------

Re: [Axis2] SOAPMonitorApplet port

Posted by robert lazarski <ro...@gmail.com>.
What version are you using?

Posted by Jack Sprat <re...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Robert,

robert lazarski <ro...@gmail.com> wrote: What is connected to 3901 ? There's 65,000 or so ports, so I'm sure

On 7/26/07, Jack Sprat  wrote:
> Hi Robert.
>
> I used ActivePorts for Windows, as suggested earlier.  This showed the port
> specified in web.xml as occupied by javaw.exe.
>
> What could be the problem here?
>
> Thanks again for trying to help.
>

> robert lazarski  wrote:
>  I'm not a windows user, but you do have the netstat command that can
> help you track your occupied ports. On linux it'd be 'netstat -ancp |
> grep 5001' .
>
> You can engage the module in either services.xml or axis2.xml - but
> not both. engaging in axis2.xml make the module available for all
> services, whereas alternatively engaging in the services,xml makes to
> module available to just that service.
>
> If all else fails, you could use tcpmon as an alternative.
>
> HTH,
> Robert
>
> On 7/25/07, Jack Sprat wrote:
> > Hi Robert.
> >
> > Thanks for trying to help. This has me quite confused.
> > The Tomcat console says that the server socket on the port specified in
> > web.xml cannot be opened. If I set port 3901 then the console says port
> > 3901 cannot be opened. Same for port 5001.
> > The ports show as used by the javaw.exe process.
> >
> > My only other question on the SOAP monitor applet is where to set the
> module
> > ref. I have this set in the services.xml file. This is the same as the
> > logging module, with the instructions here:
> > http://ws.apache.org/axis2/1_1/modules.html
> > But the SOAP monitor page says to set the module reference in the
> axis2.xml
> > file. Which is right?
> >
> > Axis2 with Tomcat 5.5
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> > robert lazarski wrote:
> > When you set the port to 3901, does it still say cannot connect to
> > 5001? Can you try RC2? I'll try to give this scenario a spin today.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Robert
> >
> > On 7/24/07, Jack Sprat wrote:
> > > I've tried ports 3901, 5001 and 5050. All gave the same result.
> > >

> > > robert lazarski wrote:
> > > Have you tried changing to another port in the web.xml?
> > >
> > > HTH,
> > > Robert

> > > here:
> > > >
> http://ws.apache.org/axis2/1_2/soapmonitor-module.html

> server
> > use:

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

Re: [Axis2] SOAPMonitorApplet port

Posted by robert lazarski <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jack Sprat <re...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Robert.

robert lazarski <ro...@gmail.com> wrote: I'm not a windows user, but you do have the netstat command that can

On 7/25/07, Jack Sprat  wrote:
> Hi Robert.
>
> Thanks for trying to help.  This has me quite confused.
> The Tomcat console says that the server socket on the port specified in
> web.xml cannot be opened.  If I set port 3901 then the console says port
> 3901 cannot be opened.  Same for port 5001.
> The ports show as used by the javaw.exe process.
>
> My only other question on the SOAP monitor applet is where to set the module
> ref.  I have this set in the services.xml file.  This is the same as the
> logging module, with the instructions here:
> http://ws.apache.org/axis2/1_1/modules.html
> But the SOAP monitor page says to set the module reference in the axis2.xml
> file.  Which is right?
>
> Axis2 with Tomcat 5.5

> robert lazarski  wrote:
>  When you set the port to 3901, does it still say cannot connect to
> 5001? Can you try RC2? I'll try to give this scenario a spin today.
>
> HTH,
> Robert
>
> On 7/24/07, Jack Sprat wrote:
> > I've tried ports 3901, 5001 and 5050. All gave the same result.
> >

> > robert lazarski wrote:
> > Have you tried changing to another port in the web.xml?
> >
> > HTH,
> > Robert
> >
> > On 7/24/07, Jack Sprat wrote:
> > > I've followed the instructions for setting up the SOAP monitor applet
> > here:
> > > http://ws.apache.org/axis2/1_2/soapmonitor-module.html
> > >
> > > Whenever I start my server I get the following errors:
> > >
> > > 2007-07-24 18:18:20,468 ERROR SOAPMonitorService - Unable to open server
> > > socket using port: 5001
> > > 2007-07-24 18:18:20,484 ERROR SOAPMonitorService - Address already in
> use:
> > > JVM_Bind
> > >
> > > It does not seem to matter what port is used.
> > >
> > > What am I doing wrong?
> > >
> > > Thanks,

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

Re: [Axis2] SOAPMonitorApplet port

Posted by robert lazarski <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jack Sprat <re...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Michael.Davis@servicecanada.gc.ca wrote: If you're stuck using windows then you can use the aports (active ports) utility to see exactly what ports are in use. It's a free download, easy to find via google.

cheers,
Michael Davis

---------------------------------

RE: [Axis2] SOAPMonitorApplet port

Posted by Mi...@servicecanada.gc.ca.

Posted by Jack Sprat <re...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Robert.

robert lazarski <ro...@gmail.com> wrote: When you set the port to 3901, does it still say cannot connect to

---------------------------------

Re: [Axis2] SOAPMonitorApplet port

Posted by robert lazarski <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jack Sprat <re...@yahoo.com>.
I've tried ports 3901, 5001 and 5050.  All gave the same result.

robert lazarski <ro...@gmail.com> wrote: Have you tried changing to another port in the web.xml?

HTH,
Robert

On 7/24/07, Jack Sprat  wrote:
> I've followed the instructions for setting up the SOAP monitor applet here:
> http://ws.apache.org/axis2/1_2/soapmonitor-module.html
>
> Whenever I start my server I get the following errors:
>
> 2007-07-24 18:18:20,468 ERROR SOAPMonitorService - Unable to open server
> socket using port: 5001
> 2007-07-24 18:18:20,484 ERROR SOAPMonitorService - Address already in use:
> JVM_Bind
>
> It does not seem to matter what port is used.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

 Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.

Re: [Axis2] SOAPMonitorApplet port

Posted by robert lazarski <ro...@gmail.com>.