Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Greg Gimler <sh...@ll.mit.edu> on 2001/07/09 22:37:09 UTC

Apache::ASP

I've been looking at Apache::ASP and noticed that it doesn't actually support ASP code but rather perlscript which does similar things but with totally different syntax.  I have a significant amount of ASP code that I would rather not have to rewrite into perlscript.  Does anyone know of a solution that will allow me to use my existing ASP code?  Thanks.

                                                                                                                                -Greg

Re: Apache::ASP

Posted by Brian Moon <br...@dealnews.com>.
I am afraid you have been mislead about what ASP means.  ASP is the server
architecture that loads scripts and runs them through an interpreter.  I
believe what you are looking for is something that will run your VBScript
code.

If that is the case, try chilisoft.com.  For a mere fortune it will do it.

Brian Moon
dealnews.com, Inc.
Makers of dealnews & dealmac
http://dealnews.com/ | http://dealmac.com/

Re: Apache::ASP

Posted by Cliff Woolley <cl...@yahoo.com>.
On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Greg Gimler wrote:

> I've been looking at Apache::ASP and noticed that it doesn't actually
> support ASP code but rather perlscript which does similar things but
> with totally different syntax.  I have a significant amount of ASP
> code that I would rather not have to rewrite into perlscript.  Does
> anyone know of a solution that will allow me to use my existing ASP
> code?  Thanks.

It's important to realize that ASP is just a framework... you can use
VBScript or Perlscript or any number of scripting languages within that
framework as long as your ASP interpreter also understands that scripting
language.  Of course, IIS only supports VBScript by default (as you'd
expect from a Microsoft product).  But having perlscript inside an ASP
document is perfectly valid.

That said, there do exist VBScript-enabled ASP interpreters for Apache,
though the only one I know of right off is a commercial product, ChiliSoft
ASP (www.chilisoft.com), which seems to have been bought by Sun since the
last time I looked.

This sort of question is best asked on one of the newsgroups, eg
comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com