Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Damon Douglas via dev <de...@beam.apache.org> on 2023/01/30 18:43:46 UTC

A practical guide to Schema | Java SDK Edition

Hello Everyone,

*If you are new to Beam please consider yourself a welcomed participant in
this conversation.  At the end of this email is a longer explanation to
help understand this email. I love talking about Beam so feel free to reach
out to me if anything isn't clear and not knowing what to ask is welcome as
well.*

*Short Version (For those who know Beam)*:

I'm writing to query initial feedback on a table of contents slide [1].
Did I miss any topic?  For the Beam Summit [2], I submitted a talk called
"A practical guide to Schema | Java SDK Edition" where I aim to walk the
audience practically through various Beam Schema how-tos.

*Long Version (For those who identify on the Beam learning path)*:

The purpose of this email is to get feedback on a single table of contents
slide [1] for a Beam Summit [2] talk.  Beam is a framework for large scale
processing of data.  A Schema [3] unifies how various steps in a Beam
pipeline describe the structure of data being processed.  Data in our
pipelines described by a Schema are called Schema-aware.  In addition to
talking about how to create a Schema, the talk aims to practically
illustrate powerful features of Schema-aware pipelines.  To understand a
Schema, it is recommended to read the Beam Programming Guide [4] up through
section 6.

Best,

Damon

*Definitions / References*:

1. Table of Contents Slide -
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1yGvYyLWPejE0KAVQ18BlAW1cixnMduBA3pQLKkXdyR8/edit#slide=id.g202687f10ae_0_120
2. Beam Summit - Scheduled June 13-15, 2023, New York City, NY. We hope you
can join!  See https://beamsummit.org for more details.
3. Schema: A description of expected field names and their data types.
https://beam.apache.org/releases/javadoc/current/org/apache/beam/sdk/schemas/Schema.html
4. Beam Programming Guide -
https://beam.apache.org/documentation/programming-guide/