Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net> on 2011/06/21 08:47:17 UTC

Files generated by Visual Studio

Hi,

we have some files that have been generated by Visual C++ and then
checked in for the build (if modified or unmodified - I don't know).

I assume that theses files are owned by the developer that created it
and so have an Oracle copyright (either through creation of a Sun/Oracle
employee or by contributing it under SCA). I just wanted to give a
chance for discussion before I put them on the list of Oracle files:

desktop/win32/source/QuickStart/OOQuickStart.rc
desktop/win32/source/QuickStart/StdAfx.h
embedserv/source/embed/stdafx.cpp
embedserv/source/inc/stdafx.h
extensions/source/activex/main/resource.h
extensions/source/activex/main/so_activex.rc
extensions/source/activex/main/StdAfx2.cpp
extensions/source/activex/main/StdAfx2.h
extensions/test/ole/EventListenerSample/EventListener/EventListener.rc
extensions/test/ole/EventListenerSample/EventListener/resource.h
extensions/test/ole/EventListenerSample/EventListener/StdAfx.cpp
extensions/test/ole/EventListenerSample/EventListener/StdAfx.h
extensions/test/ole/MfcControl/MfcControl.rc
extensions/test/ole/MfcControl/Resource.h
extensions/test/ole/MfcControl/StdAfx.cpp
extensions/test/ole/MfcControl/StdAfx.h
fpicker/source/win32/filepicker/Fps.rc
fpicker/source/win32/filepicker/resource.h
odk/examples/OLE/activex/StdAfx2.cpp
odk/examples/OLE/activex/StdAfx2.h
sal/workben/clipboardwben/testcopy/resource.h
sal/workben/clipboardwben/testcopy/StdAfx.cpp
sal/workben/clipboardwben/testcopy/StdAfx.h
sal/workben/clipboardwben/testpaste/cbptest.rc
sal/workben/clipboardwben/testpaste/resource.h
sal/workben/clipboardwben/testpaste/StdAfx.cpp
sal/workben/clipboardwben/testpaste/StdAfx.h
sal/workben/clipboardwben/testviewer/cbvtest.rc
sal/workben/clipboardwben/testviewer/resource.h
sal/workben/clipboardwben/testviewer/StdAfx.cpp
sal/workben/clipboardwben/testviewer/StdAfx.h
xmerge/source/activesync/resource.h
xmerge/source/activesync/stdafx.cpp
xmerge/source/activesync/stdafx.h
xmerge/source/activesync/XMergeSync.rc

Regards,
Mathias

Re: Files generated by Visual Studio

Posted by Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

On 21.06.2011 09:38, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 03:35, Mathias Bauer<Ma...@gmx.net>  wrote:
>> On 21.06.2011 09:03, Greg Stein wrote:
>>>
>>> If these files are generated, then why even put them into source
>>> control? They can simply be generated on each developers' machine as
>>> part of the build.
>>>
>>> Am I missing something?
>>
>> This would be a PITA for all developers, especially for those creating
>> releases. You can't tell them: here's the source, grab Visual Studio and use
>> it to create some more files before you can build the stuff.
>>
>> Besides that, there are no project files to create them from. And it's also
>> possible that these files have been modified in the past.
>>
>> We don't use Visual Studio for the build, only the compiler. So we don't
>> want to rely on its usage.
>>
>> It may be uncommon at Apache (perhaps even unwanted) to commit generated
>> files, but nevertheless my recommendation is to allow to make them part of
>> the software grant if that is legally possible. Everything else can be
>> discussed later.
>
> Not a problem. We're just talking about different types of "generated
> files". I'm concerned about "build outputs", but these are wizard
> outputs from the various VS tools. They are one-time outputs, rather
> than part of the build process.
>
> Thanks for the clarification!
As impatient as I am, I take a one day silence as a "lazy consensus"
that we agree in two point:

- theses files are under the copyright of the developer who contributed
them

- we want to keep them as they are generated by wizards and no build output.

I will update my lists accordingly.

Thanks,

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 03:35, Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net> wrote:
> On 21.06.2011 09:03, Greg Stein wrote:
>>
>> If these files are generated, then why even put them into source
>> control? They can simply be generated on each developers' machine as
>> part of the build.
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>
> This would be a PITA for all developers, especially for those creating
> releases. You can't tell them: here's the source, grab Visual Studio and use
> it to create some more files before you can build the stuff.
>
> Besides that, there are no project files to create them from. And it's also
> possible that these files have been modified in the past.
>
> We don't use Visual Studio for the build, only the compiler. So we don't
> want to rely on its usage.
>
> It may be uncommon at Apache (perhaps even unwanted) to commit generated
> files, but nevertheless my recommendation is to allow to make them part of
> the software grant if that is legally possible. Everything else can be
> discussed later.

Not a problem. We're just talking about different types of "generated
files". I'm concerned about "build outputs", but these are wizard
outputs from the various VS tools. They are one-time outputs, rather
than part of the build process.

Thanks for the clarification!

Cheers,
-g

Re: Files generated by Visual Studio

Posted by Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 03:31, Christian Lippka <cl...@lippka.com> wrote:
> /me wonders when the fruitless discussion of top-posting vs bottom-posting
> kicks in...

If my response is to the entire email, then I just tend towards
top-posting. If I'm responding to individual items (like above), then
I'll switch to inline-posting.

Mandating email response style is not a very workable option...

Cheers,
-g

Re: Files generated by Visual Studio

Posted by Christian Lippka <cl...@lippka.com>.
 From my experience with such files they are not really generated files
in a sense
that you have a source file, a build tool and a generated target file.
They are
basically templates, generated from a user interface wizard. In some cases
you will not edit such templates as they serve your needs for simple tasks.

I may be wrong on this but I doubt that there are command line tools
available to create a single stdafx.h or foobar.rc. Sure it would be easy
to write one but then it would also be based on a template file.

I agree with Greg that MS would never attempt to claim copyright and I don't
think these files deserve more attention by creating a custom build tool.
More trouble than it is worth.

Just my .02€
Christian

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.