Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Henrik Grindal Bakken <hg...@ifi.uio.no> on 2008/12/09 08:54:33 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: Apache 2.2.10 - apxs - cross-compiling modules failing

Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com> writes:

> On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 14:11:56 +0000
> "Paul Herring" <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Copy/paste from the mod_python list from my initial stab at finding
>> a solution:
>
> I don't see any evidence of your cross-compiled apache.

I haven't tried too many external apache modules, but cross-compiling
mod_python is certainly difficult.  It tries to run apache to
determine its version, and the same with python.  There's no way to
set an 'ac_cv_foo' variable to override this step.  This part is
easily patched in mod_python's configure (just remove the tests if
you're certain your apache/python are version 2), but it doesn't stop
there.

The cross-apache's apxs doesn't run very well on the build host (stuff
generally isn't installed on host where it'll end up on target, etc),
so when mod_python wants to run apxs to build and link the .so, it
fails.

I got somewhat further along by changing $(APXS) to $(CC) (and fixing
up some flags) in src/Makefile.in, but when it came to the 'dist'
subdirectory, I gave up.  The makefile requires PYTHON_BIN to do a lot
of compiling, and it also builds C files seemingly without looking at
$(CC) (but rather $(APXS)).

--
Henrik Grindal Bakken <hg...@ifi.uio.no>
PGP ID: 8D436E52