Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kevin Burton <bu...@rojo.com> on 2005/05/29 00:31:23 UTC

genStrAsCharArray not available in JspC and performance increase?

So on:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/jasper-howto.html#Production%20Configuration

It recommends to use genStrAsCharArray when in production.

This can be set in web.xml but not when using JspC from the command line.

trimSpaces is there... but not genStrAsCharArray.

Its in the source but it just doesn't have a command line option.

1... does it make sense for me to just recompile my 5.5.4 production
server with this enabled?  Whats the performance gain?

2.  Can we make this an option in JspC moving forward?  I don't see why
it can't be a command line switch.

I verified that this is still the case in 5.5.9 btw.

Kevin

--

Use Rojo (RSS/Atom aggregator)! - visit http://rojo.com.
See irc.freenode.net #rojo if you want to chat.

Re: genStrAsCharArray not available in JspC and performance increase?

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@gmail.com>.
On 5/29/05, Kevin Burton <bu...@rojo.com> wrote:
> So on:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/jasper-howto.html#Production%20Configuration
>
> It recommends to use genStrAsCharArray when in production.
>
> This can be set in web.xml but not when using JspC from the command line.
>
> trimSpaces is there... but not genStrAsCharArray.
>
> Its in the source but it just doesn't have a command line option.
>
> 1... does it make sense for me to just recompile my 5.5.4 production
> server with this enabled?  Whats the performance gain?
>
> 2.  Can we make this an option in JspC moving forward?  I don't see why
> it can't be a command line switch.
>
> I verified that this is still the case in 5.5.9 btw.

The command line version of jspc has been kind of deprecated for a
while now; we recommend using Ant.

Otherwise, adding code to set the flag is relatively simple.

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat