Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com> on 2002/09/06 18:29:52 UTC

[VOTE] RE: Fortress in a sandbox

> From: Christopher Kohlhaas [mailto:kohlhaas@bonn.edu]
>
> Leo Sutic [leo.sutic@inspireinfrastructure.com] wrote:
> >

> > > From: Christopher Kohlhaas [mailto:kohlhaas@bonn.edu]
> > >
> > > 3. org.apache.excalibur.source.impl.SourceResolverImpl throws a
> > > SecurityExcetpion on contextualization. Cause:
> > >
> > > ( (File)m_context.get( "context-root" ) ).toURL()
> > >
> > > The toURL method accesses System-variables (and the local
> > > file-system) when trying to convert the file to an URL. The
> > > SourceResolverImpl class is needed internally by the
> > > ContextManger to resolve the locations of the
> > > configuration-filse. But with applets or webstart clients
> > > these configurations are normally located on the server and
> > > "context-root" should be something like
> > > "http://myserver.mydomain:myport/mycontext" instead of
> File-Object.
> >
> > Just guessing here but would changing the above to:
> >
> >             if( m_context.get( "context-root" ) instanceof URL )
> >             {
> >                 m_baseURL = (URL)m_context.get( "context-root" );
> >             }
> >             else
> >             {
> >                 m_baseURL = ( (File)m_context.get( "context-root" )
> > ).toURL();
> >             }
> >
> > work? We allow the context-root entry to be a URL as well.
>
> That should solve the problem but I don't know if there is a
> requirement that the context-root must be a File object. Are
> there any other components in avalon that use "context-root"?

Many, I think.

But as long as you stay away from them you should be fine. If you are
running
in a sandboxed environment they won't work anyway.

Right now we're only adding (reasonable) functionality to the Resolver.
Other
components have other context requirements, and are not tied to the
source
resolver's implementation.

With the new metadata/metainfo structures, the context key will be
scoped
to the component level, so you could give one component a File and
another
a URL.

Calling for vote on this change, outlined above. It is backwards
compatible.

I'm +1.

/LS