Posted to ojb-user@db.apache.org by Marcello Zaniboni <ma...@nch.it> on 2004/07/05 12:46:39 UTC

OJB 1.0 RC4 in a multi-VM environment

Hi. I am working on a large project and I need to use OJB 1.0 RC4 in a
multi-VM environment. The project is yet in production.
I am reading the document at the URL
http://db.apache.org/ojb/docu/howtos/howto-work-with-clustering.html
...but I have some doubts about what to do for reducing the impact on
the project.
My needs are the following ones:

    * I am using Microsoft SQL Server 2000.
    * I am using tables with integer IDs and I'd like not to change the
      PK definition in the tables.
    * I'd like not to modify the tables with additional columns for
      optimistic lock.

The reason of my requests of not changing the tables is their number:
more than 300! You understand it could be a very heavy work to inform
every developer that he/she has to change his/her table definitions. The
same applies to the class-descriptor items in the repository: I'd like
not to alter them... even if it could be more acceptable than modifying
the DB.
The ideal solution would be to work only on the connection descriptor,
the OJB.properties file and to keep the tables and their descriptors as
they are. Is it possible to preserve all this requirements? Can you
suggest the adequate Sequence Manager and other settings?
Thanks in advance... bye,
Marcello

RE: OJB 1.0 RC4 in a multi-VM environment

Posted by Ryan Vanderwerf <rv...@metrowerks.com>.
Try using the sequence manager that uses a stored procedure 'oracle-style'
(I think it's called SequenceManagerStoredProcedureImpl - what's what we are
using with SQL Server 2000 (we have 4 app servers and other misc vms tied
into it). I'd also recommend the jgroups/oscache distributed cache.

Ryan