Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by "Yadav, Yogendra (IT)" <Yo...@morganstanley.com> on 2007/09/13 19:34:08 UTC

Axis2 Roadmap questions

Hi Axis2 developers,

I am interested to know the axis2 roadmap, I could not find this
information on the Axis2 web site. I am particularly interested in the
following:
1. Support for Spring based configuration.
2. Support for JAX-WS 2.1.
3. Jetty and/or Grizzly based HTTP transports for Axis2.
4. If Axis2 will ever provide full duplex streaming support (I can read
the input stream via XMLStreamReader in my handler class but can't write
to the output stream while processing XML events).

Appreciate your answers.

thanx
-yogen

Re: Axis2 Roadmap questions

Posted by Jeff Barrett <ba...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi David,

I think you're refering to the way the JAXWS MessageReceiver will reflects
on the implementation class when the first message is received.  If so,
you are absolutely right.  It is using a deprecated method in the
DescriptionFactory and is only there to drive some unit testing.

What needs to be done is integrate the building of the JAXWS description
hierachy (i.e. the annotation processing)  into the Axis2 deployment
processing.  I think this needs to be done as some sort of pluggable
mechanism in the Axis2 deployment processing.  I think Roy Wood has been
looking into doing that.

Thanks,
Jeff

IBM Software Group - WebSphere Web Services Development
Phone: 512-838-4587 or Tie Line 678-4587
Internet e-mail and Sametime ID: barrettj@us.ibm.com

Brian De Pradine <PR...@uk.ibm.com>
09/18/2007 05:20 AM
Please respond to
axis-dev@ws.apache.org

axis-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Axis2 Roadmap questions

Jeff,

In axis2 we will require some form of deploy-time processing of
annotations. The current mechanism of lazily processing the annotations
when the first message arrives for a JAX-WS web service will not be
sufficient to support the new web service feature concept of JAX-WS 2.1.

Cheers

Brian DePradine
Web Services Development
IBM Hursley
External  +44 (0) 1962 816319         Internal 246319

If you can't find the time to do it right the first time, where will you
find the time to do it again?

Jeff Barrett <ba...@us.ibm.com> wrote on 17/09/2007 19:30:40:

> David,
>
> I think Geronimo does things differently.  I think they process the DDs
in
> advance, then modify the annotation values (possibly in the
> DescriptionBuilderComposite they create) based on the DDs, then persist
> everything out.  At application startup, they read in the persisted
> information and build everythign up that way.
>
> Since they are already EE5 compliant (I believe), they must not need the

> DD support to be in JAXWS.  I don't think JSR-109 and associated DD
> support is optional in EE5.
>
> After studying JSR-109, I think the approach of building the DBCs based
on
> the annotations then modifying those DBCs based on the Deployment
> Descriptors is the best approach, as opposed to putting JSR-109 support
> into JAXWS.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff
>
> IBM Software Group - WebSphere Web Services Development
> Phone: 512-838-4587 or Tie Line 678-4587
> Internet e-mail and Sametime ID: barrettj@us.ibm.com
>

> "David Illsley" <da...@gmail.com>
> 09/17/2007 12:47 PM
> Please respond to
> axis-dev@ws.apache.org

> axis-dev@ws.apache.org
> cc
>
> Subject
> Re: Axis2 Roadmap questions
>

> Jeff,
> Presumably Geronimo will need 109 v2 support at some point, or is it
> optional for EE5 and EE6? Maybe that support (if it exists) could be
> used by anyone wanting it with Axis2...
> David
>
> On 14/09/2007, Jeff Barrett <ba...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> > Hi Dims,
> >
> > I believe the deployment descriptor is defined by JSR-109, not by
> JAX-WS.
> >
> > I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone was planning on adding
> JSR-109
> > support (and thus DDs) into the JAXWS (and associated metadata)
module.

Re: Axis2 Roadmap questions

Posted by Brian De Pradine <PR...@uk.ibm.com>.
Jeff,

Re: Axis2 Roadmap questions

Posted by Jeff Barrett <ba...@us.ibm.com>.
David,

Re: Axis2 Roadmap questions

Posted by David Illsley <da...@gmail.com>.
Jeff,

Re: Axis2 Roadmap questions

Posted by Brian De Pradine <PR...@uk.ibm.com>.
Dims,

No, those details have been delegated to JSR-109 which describes the
webservices.xml deployment descriptor, amongst other things. As there is
no implementation of JSR-109 yet we are forced to use the services.xml
file explicitly.

"Davanum Srinivas" <da...@gmail.com> wrote on 14/09/2007 15:27:56:

> [...]
> >  > > 4. If Axis2 will ever provide full duplex streaming support (I
can read
> >  > > the input stream via XMLStreamReader in my handler class but
can't
> > write
> >  > > to the output stream while processing XML events).
> >  >
> >  > It does provide full duplex streaming; it does that now for
generated ADB
> >  > classes. This is done using OMSourcedElement .. which is basically
a way
> >  > of deferring Java object -> XML serialization until its absolutely
> >  > necessary. At that time, the Java object can straight write itself
to the
> >  > XML stream.
> >  >
> >  > Note that it has to be done this way because its necessary for
Axis2 to

Re: Axis2 Roadmap questions

Posted by Jeff Barrett <ba...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi Dims,