Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Cheng Su <ch...@fb.com.INVALID> on 2021/04/27 07:33:16 UTC

Re: Avoiding unnnecessary sort in FileFormatWriter/DynamicPartitionDataWriter

Hi Ximo, sorry for a super late reply. Just FYI https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/32198 is merged in master, and you can try it out if building with latest master.
Let me know if it works or not for your case, thanks.

Cheng Su

From: Cheng Su <ch...@fb.com.INVALID>
Date: Monday, September 21, 2020 at 8:54 AM
To: XIMO GUANTER GONZALBEZ <jo...@telefonica.com>
Cc: Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>, Spark Dev List <de...@spark.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Avoiding unnnecessary sort in FileFormatWriter/DynamicPartitionDataWriter

Hi Ximo, sorry for delaying, was busy with other stuff. I will raise a PR in this week, let me ping you for review to leverage your help, thanks.

Cheng Su

On Sep 21, 2020, at 8:16 AM, XIMO GUANTER GONZALBEZ <jo...@telefonica.com> wrote:
Hi Cheng,

I think there still isn’t a PR for this, right? Do you need any help? I am very interested in this feature getting into master, so I am happy to help or even move this feature forward based on the PR you opened, but I don’t want to “steal” the feature from you if you’re interested in pushing it forward yourself 😊 Let me know if you need an extra pair of hands!

Thanks,
Ximo.

From: XIMO GUANTER GONZALBEZ <jo...@telefonica.com>>
Date: Sunday, September 6, 2020 at 10:55 PM
To: Cheng Su <ch...@fb.com>>, Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>>
Cc: Spark Dev List <de...@spark.apache.org>>

> 1.        If number of writers exceeds a pre-defined threshold (controlled by a config), we sort rest of input rows, and fallback to current mode for write.
> The config can be disabled by default to be consistent with current behavior, and users can choose to opt-in to non-sort mode if they are benefitted with not sorting on large amount of data.

With both of those points in place, I think the plan is super reasonable since it wouldn’t affect anyone who isn’t actively tuning Spark, and enables those of us who are hitting this sort to have the tools to improve performance in our scenario.

Cheers,
Ximo.

From: Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>>
Date: Friday, September 4, 2020 at 10:33 AM
To: XIMO GUANTER GONZALBEZ <jo...@telefonica.com>>
Cc: Spark Dev List <de...@spark.apache.org>>

The issue is memory overhead. Writing files create a lot of buffer (especially in columnar formats like Parquet/ORC). Even a few file handlers and buffers per task can OOM the entire process easily.

On Fri, Sep 04, 2020 at 5:51 AM, XIMO GUANTER GONZALBEZ <jo...@telefonica.com>> wrote:
Hello,

I have observed that if a DataFrame is saved with partitioning columns in Parquet, then a sort is performed in FileFormatWriter (see https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/v3.0.0/sql/core/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/sql/execution/datasources/FileFormatWriter.scala#L152) because DynamicPartitionDataWriter only supports having a single file open at a time (see https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/v3.0.0/sql/core/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/sql/execution/datasources/FileFormatDataWriter.scala#L170-L171). I think it would be possible to avoid this sort (which is a major bottleneck for some of my scenarios) if DynamicPartitionDataWriter could have multiple files open at the same time, and writing each piece of data to its corresponding file.

Would that change be a welcome PR for the project or is there any major problem that I am not considering that would prevent removing this sort?

Thanks,
Ximo.

Some more detail about the problem, in case I didn’t explain myself correctly: suppose we have a dataframe which we want to partition by column A:

Column A
Column B
4
1
2

The current behavior will first sort the dataframe:

Column A
Column B
1
2
4

So that DynamicPartitionDataWriter can have a single file open, since all the data for a single partition will be adjacent and can be iterated over sequentially. In order to process the first row, DynamicPartitionDataWriter will open a file in /columnA=1/part-r-00000-<uuid>.parquet and write the data. When processing the second row it will see it belongs to a different partition, closet he first file and open a new file in /columna=2/part-r-00000-<uuid>.parquet and so on.

My proposed change would involve changing DynamicPartitionDataWriter to have as many open files as partitions, and close them all once all data has been processed.

Este mensaje y sus adjuntos se dirigen exclusivamente a su destinatario, puede contener información privilegiada o confidencial y es para uso exclusivo de la persona o entidad de destino. Si no es usted. el destinatario indicado, queda notificado de que la lectura, utilización, divulgación y/o copia sin autorización puede estar prohibida en virtud de la legislación vigente. Si ha recibido este mensaje por error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta misma vía y proceda a su destrucción.

The information contained in this transmission is privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, do not read it. Please immediately reply to the sender that you have received this communication in error and then delete it.

Esta mensagem e seus anexos se dirigem exclusivamente ao seu destinatário, pode conter informação privilegiada ou confidencial e é para uso exclusivo da pessoa ou entidade de destino. Se não é vossa senhoria o destinatário indicado, fica notificado de que a leitura, utilização, divulgação e/ou cópia sem autorização pode estar proibida em virtude da legislação vigente. Se recebeu esta mensagem por erro, rogamos-lhe que nos o comunique imediatamente por esta mesma via e proceda a sua destruição