Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Bud Bach <bu...@bachcg.com> on 2007/01/19 02:33:58 UTC

Bayesian Analysis Feeder mailet

This was asked before but I didn't see a response.  Is it possible to send a
message with multiple spam/ham attachments to the spam/ham feeder or is it
strictly one attachment per message? [james 2.3]

Also, It seems like spammers could easily feed their email to the ham feeder
if steps aren't taken to prevent them from doing so.  Is there a simple way
to prevent people from feeding spam/ham by requiring them to be smtp
authorized or something like that?  Thanks.  -- Bud

Re: Bayesian Analysis Feeder mailet

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.
Hi Bud,

Bud Bach wrote:
> This was asked before but I didn't see a response.  Is it possible to send a
> message with multiple spam/ham attachments to the spam/ham feeder or is it
> strictly one attachment per message? [james 2.3]

Yes. But in addition to that you would need to manually update the
bayesiananalysis_messagecounts table counters: as the process is to
automatically add 1 to the ham or spam counter, if you feed say 10
attachments you should manually add 9 to the counter.

If the current value of the counters are already high, a small
percentage of "error" in the counters can be ignored (say if you have
already 1000, ending up with 1001 instead of 1010 doen't matter).

> Also, It seems like spammers could easily feed their email to the ham feeder
> if steps aren't taken to prevent them from doing so.  Is there a simple way
> to prevent people from feeding spam/ham by requiring them to be smtp
> authorized or something like that?  Thanks.  -- Bud

Your concern is perfectly correct. To avoid this I have SMTP AUTH
activated and use a config line like the following:

        <mailet match="RecipientIs=spam@internal.use"
class="BayesianAnalysisFeeder">

where "internal.use" is any not-existing domain (or anyway a domain
different from my servernames). The same applies to ham.

This way only SMTP AUTHenticated users will be able to feed spam/ham
messages.

Another way is to add a match="SMTPAuthSuccessful" somewhere in the
config.xml logic, but the previous solution IMHO is simpler.

Ciao,

Vincenzo

Re: Bayesian Analysis Feeder mailet

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.
Jerry M wrote:
> Am I reading this correctly?  "manually update..."???   You say it's
> possible to send multiple attachments to the feeder.  But everytime I
> or any one of my hundreds of users choose to do so, I somehow have to
> know a) that it occurred, and b) know precisely how many attachments
> were sent in, and then go manually update a field in a database table
> to reflect that number?  I'm obviously missing something.  If this is
> indeed the case, the answer is, "no... multiple attachments are not
> supported".
No, multiple attachments are not supported. If you, as an administrator,
need to make a one-shot large feed you can exploit the trick I told you.
But it is *not* for users.

> What's going to happen if I don't keep up with it?  There's no way I
> can monitor and manually update this with as many users as I have.
> How would I know to begin with that someone had sent multiple
> attachments?  There is no way I'm going to be able to prevent them
> from sending multiple attachments.  I understand you said small
> descrepancies in the numbers are ok.  This is quickly going to become
> NOT small descrepancies.
*Much much worse*, a user by mistake can feed ham as spam or vice-versa.
The only way is to limit the feeding capability to few reliable users.
It is part of the game. Having instead personal lists would be not
effective.

> Just out of curiosity... why can't the feeder simply update the
> counter itself on multiple attachments?  It does it on single
> attachments, doesn't it?
I have to look at it....

Vincenzo

Posted by Jerry M <te...@malcolms.com>.