Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Ashish Jain <as...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/17 14:41:42 UTC

Question about Eclipse and config-substitution.properties in AG2.0

Hi!!

  I make a change in the  portOffset value in the
config-substitutions.properties. Lets suppose portOffset=1. Then I use
Eclipse to start the server. Server fails to start, but when I start the
server from <Geronimo_home>/bin/startup.bat it starts fine.
These are my observations for the same

1)While we configure Eclipse to add a new server. It takes the values for
web connector and RMI naming as 8080 and 1099. Now when I change the Web
Connector=8080+portOffset=8081 and RMI naming port=1099+portOffset=1100 in
eclipse. I use eclipse to start the server. Server starts fine. Moreover all
the modules also start with Offset of 1 from the default value. Donot know
how it happens?

2)How does eclipse pick which modules to start in what port. I guess it
takes the config.xml . But in AG 2.0 there are no explicit values mentioned
in config.xml. So where does it pick the values from. I am not sure whether
it refers to config-substitutions.properties. If it refers to
config-substitutions.properties then why the server does not start in the
first case.

I am confused about this. Is this a bug?

Thanks
Ashish

Re: Question about Eclipse and config-substitution.properties in AG2.0

Posted by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ashish, I agree with Ted, this is most certainly a bug. I have opened a JIRA
to address this problem. Thanks very much for bringing this to our attention.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMODEVTOOLS-235

Tim McConnell

Fwd: Question about Eclipse and config-substitution.properties in AG2.0

Posted by Ted Kirby <te...@gmail.com>.
I don't fully follow all that you say.  With the plugin, when you
define a server, you may specify the HTTP and RMI Naming ports.  The
defaults are 8080 and 1099, respectively.  You may also edit and
change these values later.  These values are plain numbers.  There is
no notion of portOffset.  Nor does the plugin look at config.xml.

Your second post looks like a bug.  It seems the plugin code that
polls the server state has lost contact with the server.  It times
out, and changes the server to the stopped state.  You may also
configure Server Startup parameters/constraints:  ping delay, ping
interval and maximum pings.  Be sure that (ping interval) * (maximum
pings) / 1000 is longer than your server startup time.  From your
note, it sounds like that is not the problem, but rather that the
plugin has lost contact with the server.

HTH,
Ted Kirby

Posted by Ted Kirby <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com>.

Ashish Jain wrote:
> [...]
>     These are my observations for the same
>
>     1)While we configure Eclipse to add a new server. It takes the
>     values for web connector and RMI naming as 8080 and 1099. Now when I
>     change the Web Connector=8080+portOffset=8081 and RMI naming
>     port=1099+portOffset=1100 in eclipse. I use eclipse to start the
>     server. Server starts fine. Moreover all the modules also start with
>     Offset of 1 from the default value. Donot know how it happens?
>
>     2)How does eclipse pick which modules to start in what port. I guess
>     it takes the config.xml . But in AG 2.0 there are no explicit values
>     mentioned in config.xml. So where does it pick the values from. I am
>     not sure whether it refers to config-substitutions.properties. If it
>     refers to config-substitutions.properties then why the server does
>     not start in the first case.
>
>     I am confused about this. Is this a bug?

Tim McConnell

Re: Question about Eclipse and config-substitution.properties in AG2.0

Posted by Ashish Jain <as...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ashish Jain <as...@gmail.com>.