Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Dmitry Beransky <db...@dembel.org> on 2004/06/18 20:20:06 UTC

global properties

Hi,

There is a handful of properties that I would like to define globally,
without requiring developers to enter them into individual build.properties
files.  Here are some of the properties:

maven.build.dir
maven.repo.remote
maven.jnlp.signjar.dname.cn
maven.jnlp.signjar.dname.ou
maven.jnlp.signjar.dname.o
maven.jnlp.signjar.dname.c
pom.organization.name

How do I do this?

Dmitry

Re: global properties

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 20:19, Brett Porter wrote:
> There isn't a way in Maven to do this yet, unless you extract
> defaults.properties from maven.jar and modify it.
>
> This won't work for pom.organization.name though as that goes in the
> project.xml.
>
> Also, I wouldn't set a global maven.build.dir. What did you intend to set it to?

You can take a look at the Geronimo build. They have a work around for a
set of projects by using a front-end maven.xml to control all the
builds. Not exactly pretty, but it works.

> - Brett
>
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:20:06 -0700, Dmitry Beransky <db...@dembel.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > There is a handful of properties that I would like to define globally,
> > without requiring developers to enter them into individual build.properties
> > files.  Here are some of the properties:
> >
> > maven.build.dir
> > maven.repo.remote
> > maven.jnlp.signjar.dname.cn
> > maven.jnlp.signjar.dname.ou
> > maven.jnlp.signjar.dname.o
> > maven.jnlp.signjar.dname.c
> > pom.organization.name
> >
> > How do I do this?
> >
> > Dmitry

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

and sit softly on your shoulder ...

 -- Thoreau

Re: global properties

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 21:23, Dmitry Beransky wrote:
> At 05:19 PM 6/18/2004, you wrote:
> >There isn't a way in Maven to do this yet, unless you extract
> >defaults.properties from maven.jar and modify it.
>
> that's a shame.  But I have a small team, so I can just ask everyone to
> create individual build.properties.  I do hope this feature will be added
> to maven. IMHO properties should be cascaded this way:
>
> 1.  Organization wide props
> 2.  System wide props
> 3.  User props
> 4.  Project props

This is essentially how things work in maven2.

Re: global properties

Posted by Dmitry Beransky <db...@dembel.org>.
At 05:19 PM 6/18/2004, you wrote:
>There isn't a way in Maven to do this yet, unless you extract
>defaults.properties from maven.jar and modify it.

that's a shame.  But I have a small team, so I can just ask everyone to
create individual build.properties.  I do hope this feature will be added
to maven. IMHO properties should be cascaded this way:

1.  Organization wide props
2.  System wide props
3.  User props
4.  Project props

>This won't work for pom.organization.name though as that goes in the
>project.xml.

Why such a requirement?  Organization name won't change from project to
project in most cases.

>Also, I wouldn't set a global maven.build.dir. What did you intend to set
>it to?

It's set to a relative path: ../.build  This path should always work with
our standard project directory structure.  Is this a bad practice?

Dmitry

Re: global properties

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.