Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by niharbu <ni...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/08 23:16:52 UTC

Product Setup- Need Help!!

2010-02-07 02:29:03 EST
I just downloaded ofbiz today. I have been playing with ofbiz for past
couple of weeks. I think ofbiz is a wonderful open source software and think
this is the kind of software which I was looking for our company. We are
manufacturing workroom for window treatments and bedding. Currently using
Qbooks for manufacturing edition but its a total waste of time.

I need help setting up products in ofbiz. My concern is how to divide and
sub divide the products for our use. I read the product management catalogue
but as I do have very limited knowledge of software itself would appreciate
if someone can guide me in the right direction. I have product categories
like drapes. Now each drape will have different sizes and for each
individual order. For example customer A will want drapes for 50"W x 50"H
and he would want the order in fabric-A. For order#2 and customer B, he
would want drapes for 60"W x 60"H and would want the order in Fabric-B. For
order#3 and customer C, she would want the drapes in 50"W X 50"H (same size
as Customer A) but in Fabric-C. In other words, the fabric and sizes for
drapes would keep changing for each of the order or would remain same.

Questions:
1. First of all- will I be able to add products for above situation?
2. If so, we carry fabrics from many different vendors and each vendor would
have approx. 1000+ fabrics to choose from for the customer to pick for his
or her drapes.
3. Do I need to add all the fabric choices as products or selectable
features?
4. Do I add drape as a finished product or virtual product?
5. Or will I have to enter each sizes for each fabric available. Because
that is what I do not want to do. Because then the list of products would
take me about a year to finish. (50"Wx50"H in fabric A... 50"Wx51"H in
fabric A........ 50"Wx120"H in fabric A...51"Wx50"H in fabric A .. 51"x51"
in fabric A ....... 120"x120" in fabric A .... and same items for Fabric B
and then so on.... that would be more than million items to enter. Not to
mention also to enter the BOM for each of the items as well as they would
use about 5-10 physical items to create one size drape.

I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestion as to how to set up the
products. Thanks in advance.