Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jeff Ubois <je...@ubois.com> on 2003/08/05 04:21:27 UTC

request for feedback on usage log management

Hi,

The EFF is developing a Usage Log Management Tool (ULMT) that will help
web site owners manage the configuration and retention of server logs in
ways that help ensure end user privacy and reduce legal risks associated
with log file data.

The design is based on ideas developed at the Usage Log Data Management
Working Group (see
http://www.cfp2003.org/cfp2003/program_info/usage_log_working_group.html)
at the Computers, Freedom, and Privacy Conference in New York City in
April.  Background on that meeting is available at
http://www.securityfocus.com/news/3711.

The UMLT is desgined to work with Apache servers, but also serves as a
reference implementation of policy recommendations by the EFF and the
working group.  The design documents are available at
http://www.eff.org/projects/logmanagement/, and suggestions for
improvement (as well as any feedback about whether this might be an
appropriate project for the incubator) would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Sverker Hogberg
Dan Moniz
Jeff Ubois

Re: LOGGING TLP (Re: request for feedback on usage log management)

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 11:53:44 +0200
(Subject: Re: LOGGING TLP (Re: request for feedback on usage log management))
Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch> wrote:

> Tetsuya,

>  From an architectural perspective, I think the logging component should
> delegate i8n support to a specialized component. So it makes sense for
> log4j to rely on  "i18n" TLP project although more information on the
> "i18n" project is needed to pursue the discussion.
>
> Where can I find more about this project?

Still in the process of *deliberation* ... Nothing documented.
(There were talk about this at general@jakarta  and community@)
Only, I am wondering how it would be to put news of these kind of
'i18n' to the upcoming newsletter, and if there are many concerns
we can prepare the launch of the i18n project in full-scale.

Since it seems that there are many concerns on the "Apache Geronimo"
and collaborators of translations, this "Geronimo" might be a test
case of the ASF I18N at first.

In my plan, the I18N project would have
1. ASF-wide document translation (projects)
2. ASF-wide resource translation projects
3. Non-language-specific i18n module develooment projects
4. general discussion place about i18n/l10n/m17n issues (general@i18n?)

-- Tetsuya. (tetsuya@apache.org)

Re: LOGGING TLP (Re: request for feedback on usage log management)

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
Tetsuya,

 From an architectural perspective, I think the logging component should

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
Tetsuya,

 From an architectural perspective, I think the logging component should

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.

--

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 08:39:57 +0200
Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> wrote:

> Jeff Ubois wrote, On 05/08/2003 4.21:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The EFF is developing a Usage Log Management Tool (ULMT)
> > The UMLT is desgined to work with Apache servers, but also serves as a
> > reference implementation of policy recommendations by the EFF and the
> > working group.  The design documents are available at
> > http://www.eff.org/projects/logmanagement/, and suggestions for
> > improvement (as well as any feedback about whether this might be an
> > appropriate project for the incubator) would be much appreciated.
>
> The Apache Jakarta Logj Project is thinking about proposing the creation
> of an Apache-wide project on logging, called logging.apache.org.
>
> I suggest you to contact them on log4j-dev@jakarta.apache.org, and
> especially Ceki <ce...@qos.ch>, that is leading the effort.

E-mail: tetsuya@apache.org
http://www.terra-intl.com/
(Apache Jakarta Translation, Japanese)
http://jakarta.terra-intl.com/

LOGGING TLP (Re: request for feedback on usage log management)

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Jeff Ubois wrote, On 05/08/2003 4.21:
> Hi,
>
> The EFF is developing a Usage Log Management Tool (ULMT)
> The UMLT is desgined to work with Apache servers, but also serves as a
> reference implementation of policy recommendations by the EFF and the
> working group.  The design documents are available at
> http://www.eff.org/projects/logmanagement/, and suggestions for
> improvement (as well as any feedback about whether this might be an
> appropriate project for the incubator) would be much appreciated.

The Apache Jakarta Logj Project is thinking about proposing the creation
of an Apache-wide project on logging, called logging.apache.org.

I suggest you to contact them on log4j-dev@jakarta.apache.org, and
especially Ceki <ce...@qos.ch>, that is leading the effort.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -