Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Eric <ef...@kwinternet.com> on 2004/07/31 02:10:54 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] apache/php/mysqli - persistent db connections...

They call it client server.. :)

Don't make an httpd connection -> db connect

Make a httpd connect -> request sent to db proxy -> db_connect

However you decide to do it you need an Apache that makes requests of
another Apache which does have persistent connections. You can make a LOT
more db requests per second than the number of database connections you can
maintain at once.

So to say it another way you end up making things many to one vs one to one..

Between mod_rewrite and things like XML-RPC it isn't even that hard to
figure something out. You also then place yourself in a position to say
well I need still more, so I will proxy my request to a stand alone DB or
two or three. Or you can just use mod_perl which makes these kinds of
combinations pretty easy to do.

The thing I am interestin in now is using mod_perl along with PHP, mod_perl
doing the lower level Apache interfacing and PHP doing the HTML related
stuff. PHP is very quickly turning into Java with a massive API, but that
is what happens when you try to make everything EASY.

Thanks,

Eric

At 04:52 PM 7/30/2004, Nick Kew wrote:
>On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, bruce wrote:
>
> > apache appears to support multiple persistent connections though the use of
> > apache::dbi. the docs on this appear to point to some flaws/weaknesses in
> > the implementation. are there any other approaches to handling
> > multiple/persistent db connections across multiple pages that would be
> > useful for both perl/php apps???
>
>Connection pooling: see http://www.apachetutor.org/dev/reslist
>
>I'm not sure what the current state of Perl is.  PHP presumably can't
>hope to take advantage until (and unless) it becomes safe to run in a
>threaded MPM.
>
>--
>Nick Kew

Lead Programmer