Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Steve Pruitt <bp...@opentext.com> on 2017/12/04 16:08:06 UTC

Solr Cloud permissions

The documentation states you cannot run Solr cloud as root.  When I installed Solr I gave it another user.  I checked the init.d script and RUNAS is set to the user I entered.  This user doesn't have the permissions I need, but I am not exactly sure where to check permissions.

Thanks.

-S

Re: Solr Cloud permissions

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 12/4/2017 9:54 AM, Steve Pruitt wrote:
> I used the -u option to provide the installer with a user id.  The /var/solr folder has the user set as the owner.  But, the /opt/solr folder is owned by root.  How did this happen?

When you install the service, Solr has no need to write to the program
directory, which is why /opt/solr is owned by root. This is what I would
expect, and shouldn't be a problem.
> I checked the opt/solr/bin/init.d/solr and verified RUNAS is set to the user I entered.  When I try to execute service solr start, I get this error
>           env: /etc/init.d/solr: Permission denied
>
> Changing the execute permissions on etc/init.d/solr got me to point of executing start.  But I get this...

The working init script is in /etc/init.d, not /opt/solr/bin/init.d.
Nothing in the latter file should affect anything.

That error does sound like missing execute permission, great that you
figured it out.  This should have already been set by the service
installer script, though.  If that didn't work, there may be something
wrong on your system.  I have no idea what that might be.

> Host is not communicating for more than 15 seconds.  Still waiting.....

Where are you seeing this?  Wherever it is, we need more of the error
message provided.  Seeing the full solr.log might be necessary.

Thanks,
Shawn

RE: Solr Cloud permissions

Posted by Steve Pruitt <bp...@opentext.com>.
I used the -u option to provide the installer with a user id.  The /var/solr folder has the user set as the owner.  But, the /opt/solr folder is owned by root.  How did this happen?

I checked the opt/solr/bin/init.d/solr and verified RUNAS is set to the user I entered.  When I try to execute service solr start, I get this error
         env: /etc/init.d/solr: Permission denied

Changing the execute permissions on etc/init.d/solr got me to point of executing start.  But I get this...

Host is not communicating for more than 15 seconds.  Still waiting.....

Not sure what to do.

Thanks.

-S