Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Alan Chaney <al...@writingshow.com> on 2010/02/12 19:36:07 UTC

Using Ivy to manage Eclipse plug-in and RCP development

Hi

I've used Ivy extensively to manage dependencies in web applications.
I'm currently developing a set of Eclipse plug-ins to be bundled both as
Eclipse features and Eclipse RCP apps.

Does anyone have any pointers/recommendations about how to manage the
sources and bundles using Ivy? Are there any gotchas I should be aware of?
I intend to make all the dependent libraries eclipse library plug-ins -
in most cases I'll have to do this wrapping myself.

Thanks in advance

Alan Chaney

Re: Using Ivy to manage Eclipse plug-in and RCP development

Posted by Alan Chaney <al...@writingshow.com>.
Nicolas Lalevée wrote:
> Le 12 févr. 2010 à 19:36, Alan Chaney a écrit :
>

>> Hi
>>
>> I've used Ivy extensively to manage dependencies in web applications. I'm currently developing a set of Eclipse plug-ins to be bundled both as Eclipse features and Eclipse RCP apps.
>>
>> Does anyone have any pointers/recommendations about how to manage the sources and bundles using Ivy? Are there any gotchas I should be aware of?
>> I intend to make all the dependent libraries eclipse library plug-ins - in most cases I'll have to do this wrapping myself.
>>

> You might be interested by this project which makes Ivy understand OSGi dependencies:
> http://code.google.com/p/bushel/
>
> It is quite experimental and do some heuristic but I have been able to build some eclipse plugins with it.

Thanks Nicolas

Looks pretty interesting - I'll do some experiments and report back.

Regards

Alan

Re: Using Ivy to manage Eclipse plug-in and RCP development

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
Le 12 févr. 2010 à 19:36, Alan Chaney a écrit :

> Hi
>
> I've used Ivy extensively to manage dependencies in web applications. I'm currently developing a set of Eclipse plug-ins to be bundled both as Eclipse features and Eclipse RCP apps.
>
> Does anyone have any pointers/recommendations about how to manage the sources and bundles using Ivy? Are there any gotchas I should be aware of?
> I intend to make all the dependent libraries eclipse library plug-ins - in most cases I'll have to do this wrapping myself.

You might be interested by this project which makes Ivy understand OSGi dependencies:
http://code.google.com/p/bushel/

It is quite experimental and do some heuristic but I have been able to build some eclipse plugins with it.

Nicolas