Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Naama Kraus <na...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/08 08:09:53 UTC

Re: Problems with IndexWriter#commit() on Linux

Hi All,

I am back to this one after some while.
It appears the file system I was using resides on software RAID disks. I ran
the same code on the same Linux machine, but on another file system residing
on SCSI disks. I didn't observe the problem there.
Both file systems are ext3.
So I am guessing the problem relates to the RAID disks.

I looked again at commit() API, and the following comment may be explaining:

"Note that this operation calls Directory.sync on the index files. That call
should not return until the file contents & metadata are on stable storage.
For FSDirectory, this calls the OS's fsync. But, beware: some hardware
devices may in fact cache writes even during fsync, and return before the
bits are actually on stable storage, to give the appearance of faster
performance. If you have such a device, and it does not have a battery
backup (for example) then on power loss it may still lose data. Lucene
cannot guarantee consistency on such devices."

Well, for me, running on the SCSI disks is just fine, I wanted to anyway
share my experience.

Naama

--
"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you
want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."
"What really interests me is whether God had any choice in the creation of
the world."
"A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need
to be happy? "
(Albert Einstein)

Re: Problems with IndexWriter#commit() on Linux

Posted by Naama Kraus <na...@gmail.com>.
Here is what I get with mount -l
/dev/mapper/lvm--raid-lvm0 on /data3 type ext3 (rw) []

Is there anything else to get more details of the mount options ?

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Michael McCandless <

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Yes.

Mike

Posted by Naama Kraus <na...@gmail.com>.