Posted to user@wink.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2016/12/20 21:32:08 UTC

What's next for Wink

The community has been slow but steady for a little while with mostly user
questions where the user community has been helping each other.

Going forward, the community needs to decide what's next for the project,
and I see mainly two options:

- Discuss what's next for the community, and look into ways where we can
become more active. Some examples are around replacing the json.org
dependency, creating new releases, or even maybe updating wink to support
the latest specifications.

- The other option would be to retire the project.

Thoughts ? Ideas ?

--
Luciano Resende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975

Re: What's next for Wink

Posted by Brian Laskey <br...@gmail.com>.
Hello, I know it is late, but with the holidays just wanted to comment
(Happy New Year)

Our team has been using both the wink server and wink client components in
some enterprise software products and tools, and it's been pretty
successful, stable and supports our needs. As of now it is still a useful
component to have.

Could the wink devs please elaborate on what 'retire' of the wink project
might mean exactly? Just no maintenance and future updates? If there was no
real enhancements planned, then maybe we have no need to consider the
project active but still use the library, but longer term as the project
ages versus current technologies might we be forced to migrate to other
libraries anyway if things like a hypothetical security vulnerability show
up?

From the wink users, if you are not using wink, what are the better
alternative libraries (in Java) for REST server frameworks?

Our team also has experience with spring-rest which seems a reasonable
alternative, we've recently looked at a completely different rest server
framework like Spark Framework (http://sparkjava.com/), but not sure we'll
go that route.

Re: What's next for Wink

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.