Posted to user@metron.apache.org by Syed Hammad Tahir <ms...@itu.edu.pk> on 2017/11/16 05:47:49 UTC

HDFS SIze

HI,

I there anyway I could alot more space to hdfs? I am redeploying single
node based ambari Metron cluster

Regards.

RE: HDFS SIze

Posted by Aaron Harris <aa...@outlook.com>.
Yes I did mean to add in more disks to your VM, but if you already have free space on the VM then there are a couple of parameters to look at.

Firstly the dfs.datanode.data.dir parameter I mentioned below, this controls where HDFS stores its data on the filesystem. How are the disks allocated and mounted on your VM? is it a single large disk or do you have them split.

On my test datanode VM I have an OS disk and 4 data disks configured as below;

/                              - 50Gb OS disk
/data_vg1/         - 200Gb Datadisk1
/data_vg2/         - 200Gb Datadisk2
/data_vg3/         - 200Gb Datadisk3
/data_vg4/         - 200Gb Datadisk4

In my example I have dfs.datanode.data.dir set to “/data_vg1,/data_vg2/,/data_vg3/,/data_vg4” to allow HDFS to allow the data node to write to all 4 datadisks but not to the OS disk.

Another parameter that will control how much of the disk HDFS can use is dfs.datanode.du.reserved, this ensures HDFS leaves this many bytes free on each volume for non-HDFS usage. In the above example where HDFS is using datadisks and there are no other processes (eg. Kafka, namenode) writing to these disks I can set this parameter quite low, to allow HDFS as much of the disk as possible.

If you are still having problems, could you send the output of “df -h” from your VM and what your dfs.datanode.data.dir and dfs.datanode.du.reserved settings are configured as.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Aaron

Posted by "Zeolla@GMail.com" <ze...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> Sorry for this noobish question. I didnt understand "If you can add more
> disks to your node then do so".  You mean add physical drive in the
> machine? I already have plenty of free space. Just dont know how to expand
> hdfs over it
>

> On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 12:03 PM, Aaron Harris <aaron.s.harris@outlook.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Syed,
>>

>> Check what you have set for the dfs.datanode.data.dir parameter in HDFS
>> config.
>>
>> If you can add more disks to your node then do so and update the above
>> parameter so it references them.
>>
>> Your other option is to add a complete new node, then install the
>> datanode service on it through Ambari.
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Aaron

Jon