Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Michael Masters <mm...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/01 00:36:13 UTC

dbsight

I posted this on java-dev@lucene.apache.org and it was suggested that
I pose this question here:

Hello Everyone,

I just started to use lucene recently. Great project BTW. I was
wondering if anyone has suggested making an open source version of
dbsight (www.dbsight.net/). I've just started using it and I think it
would be awesome if it was open source. Does anyone know of a project
that's like this that is OS?

If not, then how can I propose a project that does a similar thing?

Thanks,
Mike

Re: dbsight

Posted by Chris Lu <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Mike,

Thanks for your interest in DBSight!

The free version of DBSight should satisfy most of the common
requirements. We could open source it if time is right.

There are many solutions for database and lucene, each has its own
uniqueness.
DBSight starts from basic SQL, and just apply a little Lucene specific
configuration and some ready-to-use scaffolding.
Compared to SOLR, DBSight's design is more like ruby-on-rails rather
than a common web application.

--
Chris Lu
-------------------------

Re: dbsight

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Apr 30, 2009, at 10:32 PM, Michael Masters wrote:
> Sweet! I'll look more into solr. I wasn't under the impression solr
> could index a database like dbsight.

It's not point-and-clickable, but Solr's DataImportHandler has
sophisticated configuration capabilities for indexing any JDBC
accessible database.

And there is also the LuSql project that has recently gotten a lot of
good press, and I've seen it demo'd first hand it's quite powerful and
flexible.

	Erik

Re: dbsight

Posted by Michael Masters <mm...@gmail.com>.