Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by "Mathias P.W Nilsson" <ma...@snyltarna.se> on 2008/11/24 14:26:28 UTC

Create custom UrlCodingStrategy

Hi,

I need some info in how to create my own UrlCodingStrategy

This is the preconditions.
I have a database with 20 - 100 customers that needs to access this
application. Every customer has it's own properties files and css variation.

What I want is that let's say Edgesoft wants to use the application. Then
the user will access
http://localhost/app/edgesoft

If I want to mount Base.class I do not want to do /edgesoft/base only base
and the UrlCodingStrategy will handle the rest for me. Check if the customer
exists, set variation and then continue with the request.

An example.
http://localhost/edgesoft/order/order/13
http://localhost/another/order/order/14
mount( MyStrategy( "/order/" , .... );

This should go to the exact same page but with different variation and
properties. How can this be achieved. What classes do I need to subclass to
make this happen?

Re: Create custom UrlCodingStrategy

Posted by kan <ka...@gmail.com>.
Oh.... sorry, I thought you want use it with mount. In this case you
have to deal with IRequestCodingStrategy, not with
IRequestTargetUrlCodingStrategy.
Seems you can make your implementation which proxies given rcu
(usually it will be WebRequestCodingStrategy or crypted), it passes
encode/decode to it adding/cutting "variance" part of url.
Then you have to override WebApplication.newRequestCycleProcessor
WebRequestCycleProcessor.newRequestCodingStrategy and which will
return your strategy.
Maybe it's not best way to do it, but I don't see any better.

2008/12/2 Mathias P.W Nilsson <ma...@snyltarna.se>:

> Thanks!
>
> I will look at this and maybe come back on the subject. One problem that I
> saw was that the request didn't get printed in the UrlCodingStrategy because
> it was not mounted in init. Maybe I'm wrong about this and need to look it
> over again.

WBR, kan.

Re: Create custom UrlCodingStrategy

Posted by "Mathias P.W Nilsson" <ma...@snyltarna.se>.
Nope!

I'm lost here. How can I create my own IRequestTargetUrlCodingStrategy when
I need to add a mount path. The mount path is not the same as the page
requested.

Let me explain this more in detail.

I wan't to mount Base.class to /login. But I need to access the /login thru
/Customer1/login and /Customer2/login. I can't mount every possible customer
reference in init().

Re: Create custom UrlCodingStrategy

Posted by kan <ka...@gmail.com>.
RTFS :)
If you look at any implementation, say
BookmarkablePageRequestTargetUrlCodingStrategy.decode, you'll see how
RequestParameters are turning in IRequestTarget, and encode does
opposite - IRequestTarget is turning in url.
You can set page a parameter (say "variation") from desired part of
url and override in your page class the method:
@Override
public String getVariation()
{
  return getPageParameters().getAsString("variation");
}

It's just thoughts, I never tried it myself. :)

2008/12/2 Mathias P.W Nilsson <ma...@snyltarna.se>:

> Ok
>
> Is there any topic on UrlRewriteFilter and Wicket. I still need to set
> variation and locale even when I use UrlRewriteFilter.

WBR, kan.

Re: Create custom UrlCodingStrategy

Posted by "Mathias P.W Nilsson" <ma...@snyltarna.se>.
Ok

Posted by kan <ka...@gmail.com>.
I only afraid, you cannot mount to "root".
So, it will be "http://localhost/company/edgesoft/something....",
"http://localhost/company/another/something...."
Maybe easier and much more flexible for you will be UrlRewriteFilter.

--
WBR, kan.

Re: Create custom UrlCodingStrategy

Posted by kan <ka...@gmail.com>.
Basically, just implement IRequestTargetUrlCodingStrategy. :)
What is precise question?

2008/11/24 Mathias P.W Nilsson <ma...@snyltarna.se>:

> Hi,
>
> I need some info in how to create my own UrlCodingStrategy
>
> This is the preconditions.
> I have a database with 20 - 100 customers that needs to access this
> application. Every customer has it's own properties files and css variation.
>
> What I want is that let's say Edgesoft wants to use the application. Then
> the user will access
> http://localhost/app/edgesoft
>
> If I want to mount Base.class I do not want to do /edgesoft/base only base
> and the UrlCodingStrategy will handle the rest for me. Check if the customer
> exists, set variation and then continue with the request.
>
> An example.
> http://localhost/edgesoft/order/order/13
> http://localhost/another/order/order/14
> mount( MyStrategy( "/order/" , .... );
>
> This should go to the exact same page but with different variation and
> properties. How can this be achieved. What classes do I need to subclass to
> make this happen?

WBR, kan.

Re: Create custom UrlCodingStrategy

Posted by Peter Ertl <pe...@gmx.net>.
maybe this would be the time to apply my patch? :-)

Posted by "Mathias P.W Nilsson" <ma...@snyltarna.se>.
Yes, thanks!

Posted by Martin Sachs <sa...@gmail.com>.
Yes,

then you have two ways to do that
   * implement your own RequestCycleProcessor
   * implement IRequestCodingStrategy and IRequestTargetMountsInfo or
subclass WebRequestCodingStrategy (you can look on
UrlCompressingWebCodingStrategy for a sample)

Thats the way...

Martin

Posted by "Mathias P.W Nilsson" <ma...@snyltarna.se>.
Problem is this

Posted by Martin Sachs <sa...@gmail.com>.

ok simple DispatchingPage with Pageparameter

DispatchingPage(Pageparameter params){
   customerId = params.getIndexedParam(0);  // not real syntax
   action = params.getIndexedParam(1);  // not real syntax

   if(action.equals("login")){
       PageParameter moreParam =  new PageParameter();
       moreParam.add("customerId", customerId);
       setResponsePage(new LoginPage(moreParam);

   }else if (....)

}

(not compiled code)

Simple Dispatcher without overrides of Wicket-Core Components
(URLCodingStrategy, RequestCycleProcessor)!

If you want it more complex and transparent use your own implementation of
AbstractRequestCycleProcessor (look at UrlCompressingWebRequestProcessor, or
from  http://code.google.com/p/brix-cms/ Brix   BrixRequestCycleProcessor

With Wicket you can easy customize all to your needs!

I mean "easy" because you just implement some interface and replace the
default wicket beheaviour by your own. No special feature of wicket, its
just Java, or ?

Martin

Posted by Martin Sachs <sa...@gmail.com>.
hi,

i have only a simple idea.

implement a UrlcodingStrategy like IndexedParamUrlCodingStrategy, where the
words after first / are parameter. if you use this e.g.

mount(new CustomerParamUrlCodingStrategie("/customers",...)); you would able
to get the customerID as PageParameter like from the
IndexedParamUrlCodingStrategy.

result should be that url: /customers/<customerId>/<action> e.g.
/customers/mycustomer1/login

Also you must handle the second parameter /login maybe by switching
different panels or redirect to another page !

is that what you want ?

Martin

Posted by "Mathias P.W Nilsson" <ma...@snyltarna.se>.
Maybe I should wait. I have solved it change the host file so that there will
be different host to the same url. This way there is a new session every
request to the host and I can read the header.

RE: Create custom UrlCodingStrategy

Posted by David Leangen <wi...@leangen.net>.
Assuming I understand what you're asking for...

There is a solution, but that's about all I can say.

I can say this because I managed somehow to pull it off. However, it took a
lot of hacks to the wicket code, which I don't recommend to anybody.

[Just to make sure I understand, let me explain what I did. I essentially
have one Wicket instance that is able to manage several different
applications (that would normally each have their own Wicket instance). Each
app gets mounted on its own contextual path, so like you say below
http://localhost/myapp1, http://localhost/myapp2, and so on.]

I was told that v1.5 will have more customizable support, so I would suggest
that you try to wait until then, unless you want to suffer mental trauma the
way I have trying to live through this experience. ;-)

Cheers,
Dave

Posted by "Mathias P.W Nilsson" <ma...@snyltarna.se>.
Is there no solution to this?

Posted by "Mathias P.W Nilsson" <ma...@snyltarna.se>.
To clarify things. It's something like in this post that I'm after. Get the
customer from db

See Dmitry Kandalov post

http://www.nabble.com/mounting-large-number-of-url-td13972929.html#a14010271

Posted by "Mathias P.W Nilsson" <ma...@snyltarna.se>.
Thank you very much but I'm afraid I can't use apache as a front end due to
the server setup. I need a way to do this in wicket.

Re: Create custom UrlCodingStrategy

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
[I'm sending again slightly modified because the first response got
spam-blocked - dunno why - hopefully you're not getting this twice]

I did something similar to this a while back and came up with the
following solution.  It may not be the best way, but what I do is
extend WicketFilter and catch the path there, checking it for style,
and then stripping the style part and passing it to Wicket.  The
problem with this solution is that you must then front-end the app
with something like Apache, and do ProxyPass /app http://{your
localhost : your port }/app/yourstyleforthisdomain - and do that for
each domain.  This wasn't a problem for me because I was already using
Apache on the frontend.  But it makes testing at regular old localhost
port 8081 (or whatever port) practically impossible - you have to set
up Apache on your test machines, too.  Again, this was something I
already do anyway, but I want to mention the drawbacks of this.  Also
notice that my ProxyPass passes from one folder depth to two - because
in the filter I'm going to strip one folder depth off - this will
become important with your cookie handling - so that they end up being
set on the same path as you're really displaying the app.

public class SiteDifferentiatingFilter extends WicketFilter {
    private static final Logger LOGGER =
Logger.getLogger(SiteDifferentiatingFilter.class);

    @Override
    public String getRelativePath(HttpServletRequest request) {
        String path = super.getRelativePath(request);
        // Site is an enum of all sites
        for (Site site : Site.values()) {
            if (path.startsWith(site.getKey())) {
                if (RequestCycle.get() != null && Session.get() != null) {
                    Session.get().setStyle(site.getStyleName());
                    // this is a variation of what I did...  I actually created
                    //    my own site-aware session and set the Site on it so
                    //    that I could see what site they were on in
their session
                    //    and I also used this to switch which
application context
                    //    I was using so that I could have different
service settings
                    //    per site.  Here's the code I used if you're
interested:
                    /*
                    ((SiteDifferentiatingWebSession)
Session.get()).setSite(site);
                    ApplicationContextFactory.getFactory().setSite(site);
                    */
                }
                path = path.substring(site.getKey().length());
                if (path.startsWith("/")) {
                    path = path.substring(1);
                }
                return path;
            }
        }
        return path;
    }
}

Hope this helps - it works, but it is probably not the cleanest
solution out there.  I've had it in production on this group of sites
for quite a while and have not had a bug appear because of it.
--
Jeremy Thomerson
http://www.wickettraining.com

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.
sorry for the misunderstanding, I never made a url coding strategy so
I won't be able to help you, anybody else?

http://www.somatik.be

Re: Create custom UrlCodingStrategy

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.
> http://localhost/test/hello
> http://localhost/test2/hello
>
> Can this be done with wicket?

Yes, this is called mounting pages or resources

see here:
http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/url-coding-strategies.html
http://www.javalobby.org/java/forums/t68753.html

http://www.somatik.be