Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jarnot Voytek Contr AU HQ/SC <Vo...@MAXWELL.AF.MIL> on 2003/10/22 01:04:46 UTC

PDF rendering doesn't work, TXT rendering does

We have successfully embedded fop in a servlet (actually a Struts action),
and are generating PDFs with aplomb.

We also need our web app to periodically 'wake-up' and email PDFs to certain
users.  The way we've coded this is a thread (started from our servlet) that
wakes up periodically and starts another thread which connects to the
database, does xml->pdf with fop, and emails the resulting pdf.

The problem is that when run from our 'background' thread, fop generates
almost empty pdf files, they contain only two lines:
%PDF
%

However, when I changed the renderer to render text files, fop generates
correct files.  In either case, there are no exceptions or errors from fop
that I can see (even when using DEBUG log level).  This behavior is
exhibited on Oracle 9iAS 9.0.3, fop 0.20.5, RedHat 8.0.  Interestingly
enough, the same (as near as I can tell) configuration on RedHat 7.3 works.

--
Voytek Jarnot
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit