Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by suomi <ap...@ayni.com> on 2004/07/07 16:15:49 UTC

[users@httpd] apache 2.0.50 with mpm worker blocks too

Hi list
i installed apache 2.0.50 with the worker mpm, because 2.0.49  blocked
at times, i.e. one process (or thread) failed (disappeared from ps xa)
in some statistical instances.
now, 2.0.50 shows a similar behaviour.

i have two possibilities:
a: continue with apache 2.0.47 which since ages runs fine with worker mpm
b: swing over to prefork mpm on apache 2.0.50 which is said to behave
well (how long?)

rethorical question: when will we have again an apache 2 version, which
behaves as specified?

suomi

Re: [users@httpd] apache 2.0.50 with mpm worker blocks too

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 07:10:37 +0200, suomi <ap...@ayni.com> wrote:
> the apache blocked exactly when invoking a php program . the client
> (browser) was left with "opening ...." in the status line and nothing
> happened any more.
> another http request to the same apache server failed, that is, left the
> browser waiting infinitely.
> a ps xa| grep http showed, that from the four initially started apache
> processes three were left over.

You need to do more detailed debugging work than that.  You haven't
mentioned what is in the error log, for example.  You haven't
mentioned if there was a core dump.

Of course, it seems pretty obvious that this is a php-related issue
(though you didn't even mention php in your first post).  You are
using php with a threaded-mpm.  Have you verified that every single
one of the libraries/modules used by php is thread-safe?  If not, you
are just asking for trouble.

If you are not familiar with thread-safety issues, than you definitely
shouldn't be using php with a threaded mpm.  Change to prefork, which
is not threaded.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] apache 2.0.50 with mpm worker blocks too

Posted by suomi <ap...@ayni.com>.
Hi Joshua

cellino@rosetta:~> uname -a
Linux rosetta 2.6.4-54.5-default #1 Fri May 7 21:43:10 UTC 2004 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux
cellino@rosetta:~>

you can retrieve the apache 2.0.50 rpm-package i created from
http://www.ayni.com/archive/
in the tar containing the rpm-package as well as the rpm-source package
there is also the configure string (in the call_config.sh) file.

i have almost all modules compiled into the mainstream server, only the
php4 module is loaded. the php4 module is created from php-4.3.6.

the apache blocked exactly when invoking a php program . the client
(browser) was left with "opening ...." in the status line and nothing
happened any more.
another http request to the same apache server failed, that is, left the
browser waiting infinitely.
a ps xa| grep http showed, that from the four initially started apache
processes three were left over.

if you need the entire config i can send it to you but not through this
list.

suomi

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.