Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bert Catsburg <be...@catsburg.com> on 2003/01/22 00:32:43 UTC

Problem with fresh installation: "Unable to find a javac compiler"

Hello Tomcat experts,

I have a problem with getting the installation to work.
First an overview of my installation:
JAVA_HOME = C:\j2sdk1.4.1_01\
Tomcat is installed in C:\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18-LE-jdk14\

When starting tomcat (http://127.0.0.1:8080/index.jsp)
I get the following error in the stderr.log file:

   Unable to find a javac compiler;
   com.sun.tools.javac.Main is not on the classpath.
   Perhaps JAVA_HOME does not point to the JDK

I searched this list and all other resources and I cannot
find any reference to this problem.

Anybody can help me? Please?
Thanks,

Bert Catsburg

Re: Problem with fresh installation: "Unable to find a javac compiler"

Posted by Bert Catsburg <be...@catsburg.com>.
Ravi,
thanks for your prompt answer.

At the command prompt I type 'javac' and get a response from the
compiler. So, javac is found.
I do not understand why I should add %java_home%\bin to the
classpath. First, I read somewhere that I do not need a classpath
(although I do have a classpath variable pointing to the %java_home%\lib
directory). Second, the bin directory does not contain jar or class
files.

Hope somebody can point me to other possible solutions.

Thanks,

Bert Catsburg