Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Roger B.A Klorese" <ro...@queernet.org> on 2003/07/16 01:14:30 UTC

RE: [users@httpd] Re: Name resolution

> -- snip ---
> I´d use
>
>   ServerAlias xyz.com *.xyz.com
>
> inside the virtual host directive.
>

> Regards,
>
> Alfonso
>
> -- snip ---
>
> Alfonso,
>
> I tried that it does not find "xyz.com" (site not found error) and
> "admin.xyz.com" is directed to www.xyz.com.

1) If you ONLY want xyz.com, but not anythingelse.xyz.com, to be the same
site as www.xyz.com, you need
	ServerName www.xyz.com
	ServerAlias xyz.com
   If you want everything except admin.xyz.com to be the same site, you need
	ServerName www.xyz.com
	ServerAlias xyz.com *.xyz.com
   ....but you need to put that virtual host definition AFTER the one for
admin.xyz.com.

2) You MUST have an A record for xyz.com, in addition to the one for
www.xyz.com, pointing to the address.

Posted by "Roger B.A Klorese" <ro...@queernet.org>.

Posted by Michael Lewis <ml...@xelent.net>.

Posted by Alfonso Romero <ib...@prodigy.net.mx>.
Exactly. I think what´s missing is the A record in your zone file. For
example, I run a "laspro.dynu.com" ficticious site  on my local LAN, and use
the following zone file in my name server:

$TTL    3600
laspro.dynu.com.       IN      SOA     adeline.ibacsoft.dynu.com.
root.adeline.ibacsoft.dynu.com (
                                2806031        ; Serial
                                3600    ; Refresh
                                900     ; Retry
                                3600000 ; Expire
                                3600 )  ; Minimum
               IN      NS      adeline.ibacsoft.dynu.com.
;
                IN      A       192.168.0.102

www             IN CNAME        @
mail            IN CNAME        @
ftp             IN CNAME        @

@               IN MX   10      mail.ibacsoft.dynu.com.

This is a virtual host, my registered domain is "ibacsoft.dynu.com". In this
"laspro.dynu.com" zone file I used the
                IN      A       192.168.0.102

line, where 192.168.0.102 is my local web server, along with the

ServerAlias laspro.dynu.com *.laspr.dynu.com

line in the virtual host directive, and it works.

Hope it helps,