Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Norman Barker <no...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/28 21:57:39 UTC

export control notice - multiview

Hi,

I am looking to put some couchdb erlang code for the multiview
integration with couchdb-clucene on my github account for review.
Having consulted with our export control dept here, it seems I should
follow

http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html

and I see that Volker has put a note at the bottom of his page

http://github.com/vmx/couchdb

to follow the apache rules this has to be done by the PMC and I see

 <Project href="http://couchdb.apache.org/">
  <Name>Apache CouchDB Project</Name>
  <Contact><Name>Damien Katz</Name></Contact>
  <Product id="couchdb" href="http://couchdb.apache.org/">
    <Name>Apache CouchDB</Name>
    <Version>
      <Names>development</Names>
      <ECCN>5D002</ECCN>
      <ControlledSource href="http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/">
        <Manufacturer>ASF</Manufacturer>
        <Why>Includes a HTTP client with SSL functionality</Why>
      </ControlledSource>
    </Version>
    <Version>
      <Names>0.9.0 and later</Names>
      <ECCN>5D002</ECCN>
      <ControlledSource href="http://archive.apache.org/dist/couchdb/">
        <Manufacturer>ASF</Manufacturer>
        <Why>Includes a HTTP client with SSL functionality</Why>
      </ControlledSource>
      <ControlledSource
href="http://github.com/cmullaparthi/ibrowse/tree/master">
        <Manufacturer>ibrowse</Manufacturer>
        <Why>HTTP client with SSL functionality</Why>
      </ControlledSource>
    </Version>
  </Product>
 </Project>

to put initial code on github what should we do?

Many thanks,

Norman

Re: export control notice - multiview

Posted by Volker Mische <vo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Norman,

I haven't done anything :) It's just the default CouchDB README file.

Cheers,
   Volker

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 28, 2010, at 8:55 PM, Norman Barker wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> I work for ITT VIS and we would really like to give this multiview for
> consideration by the community (as well as other patches). I have
> passed this to our legal dept and they would like us to follow
> http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html, I believe this has already been
> followed since Damien has his name on the XML below as PMC chair.
> Whatever procedure Damien followed should be documented so that other
> US companies can contribute. I believe that all is sufficient is a
> paper trail to show that the necessary govt depts have been notified
> about cryptography (in this case SSL) components in the software.
>
> This is a complicated area, and you really don't want a fine (see
> http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_6712/is_58_233/ai_n29340678/),
> so if a procedure should be established within couchdb. If covered by
> Apache politics then great, my code will be up asap, but it needs
> confirmation by the PMC of CouchDB and a documented way of forking on
> github.

Are you suggesting that any company that shares patches (even ones like yours, completely unrelated to any SSL functionality) needs to be listed on the XML document? I think that is false.

The document at http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html says that only a PMC member needs to be listed.

It seems that most (all?) of the projects listed in

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/infrastructure/site/trunk/xdocs/licenses/exports/index.xml

have only a single contact.

I think part of the point of the ASF is to handle these issues on a collective basis so that folks like us can just write code.

I'm glad that you are looking at the issue carefully, and if you think I'm misunderstanding it, please correct me.

Chris

Posted by Norman Barker <no...@gmail.com>.
Dirk-Willem and Chris,

thanks for your help on this, I have passed this through our legal
dept and I am good to add the code to github.

The code will be going up by the w/end, I am going to add a few
installation instructions.

Norman

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <Di...@BBC.co.uk>.

Posted by Norman Barker <no...@gmail.com>.