Posted to users@maven.apache.org by ArneD <pu...@degenring.de> on 2006/08/24 14:43:13 UTC

[m2] Updates of transitive dependencies not working?

Hello all,

I defined two repositories in the settings.xml, both with updatePolicy set
to always.

My project A has a dependency to version 5.0-SNAPSHOT of a JAR B. That JAR B
has a dependency to version 1.6 of another JAR C. In my local repository
there's an outdated version 1.6 of JAR C (i.e. version 1.6 has been
redeployed after a bug has been found).

The problem is: During my build of project A Maven is looking for an update
of JAR B, but NOT of JAR C.

Is this a bug or am I missing some setting?

Thanks for any hints!!
Arne

RE: [m2] Updates of transitive dependencies not working?

Posted by ArneD <pu...@degenring.de>.
Thank you, Jörg. I filed issue MNG-2528.

Posted by ArneD <pu...@degenring.de>.

Jörg Schaible wrote:

> ArneD wrote on Thursday, August 24, 2006 2:43 PM:
>
>> I defined two repositories in the settings.xml, both with
>> updatePolicy set to always.
>>
>> My project A has a dependency to version 5.0-SNAPSHOT of a
>> JAR B. That JAR B
>> has a dependency to version 1.6 of another JAR C. In my local
>> repository there's an outdated version 1.6 of JAR C (i.e. version 1.6
>> has been redeployed after a bug has been found).
>>
>> The problem is: During my build of project A Maven is looking
>> for an update
>> of JAR B, but NOT of JAR C.
>>
>> Is this a bug or am I missing some setting?
>
> Yes. You cannot upgrade a final version! Therefore it is final. Maven will
> *never* look for an update. That's what snapshots are for

I know that you normally should use snapshot versions for that. Anyway,
Maven *does* allow to overwrite an existing version in the repository by
re-deploying it. To make builds repeatable, I believe, Maven has to look for
updates, even for released versions, not only snapshot versions.

Isn't that what the <repository><release><updatePolicy>always</...> setting
is for?

> (although it does also not work because of a bug).

Do you know the bug number?

Thank you!
Arne