Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dan Sandberg <da...@siliconpoetry.com> on 2001/04/13 04:53:57 UTC

mod_jk advice

I had major problems getting Tomcat 3.2.1 working with Apache 1.3.14, so
I wanted to share my solution.

(For linux users, possibly others)  Don't grab the mod_jk.so from the
web site.  Compile it yourself.  I spent three hours trying to get
things to work with the downloaded version, with no success.  No error
messages were generated either.  As soon as I compiled it myself, bingo,
everything worked fine.

Now I'm off to continue the torture with mod_webapp.  Yaye.

-Dan

Re: mod_jk advice

Posted by Jeff Kilbride <je...@kilbride.com>.
You don't have to compile all of Tomcat to build mod_jk. That's the point,
mod_jk can be built by itself in about 5 minutes -- without ant, jaxp, or
jsse. I haven't seen any posts where the binary Tomcat doesn't work on
Linux, but I've seen a lot where the binary mod_jk doesn't work. If you
built Tomcat from scratch just to get mod_jk to work, then congratulations,
you did good, but I think you went the long way around. That's part of the
problem we're trying to point out. You had a working version of Tomcat, but
problems with mod_jk -- and you went through more pain than necessary to get
it to work.

The kernel has nothing to do with the problems you were having.

--jeff

Posted by James <ja...@webfocus.com>.

Re: mod_jk advice

Posted by Tim O'Neil <ti...@xythos.com>.
At 09:27 AM 4/13/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>It would be nice if they published what version of Linux/Apache/Tomcat the
>available binary was compiled for. I think it's pretty confusing for new
>users when you say "Hey, here's a binary", but they don't understand all the
>reasons why it won't work with their platform. It's such an easy process to
>compile your own -- especially with the Makefile's provided. Maybe they
>should just get rid of the binary and distribute the mod_jk source with
>every Tomcat distribution. Is that feasible?

I would think distributing the source would be
much easier than distributing binaries. They
could even distribute the source as a Linux-
style RPM, for those who prefer that platform,
sure.

Re: mod_jk advice

Re: mod_jk advice

Posted by Tim O'Neil <ti...@xythos.com>.