Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Darrel Schneider <ds...@pivotal.io> on 2017/12/14 19:15:56 UTC

how to get a good commit comment when using gitbox to merge a pull request

I noticed that the git log message for a pull request I just merged was
lacking what I expected it to pick up from the single revision in the pull
request. It ended up with a message like this:

Merge pull request #1165 from dschneider-pivotal/feature/GEODE-4091

    GEODE-4091: add ThreadFactory for evictor

    The threads created to do background eviction scanning

    will now be named "LRUListWithAsyncSortingThreadNNN".

    The will now be daemon threads.

    They now have an unhandled exception handler.

    Their group is named "LRUListWithAsyncSorting Threads".

I wanted it to look like this:

    GEODE-4091: add ThreadFactory for evictor

    The threads created to do background eviction scanning

    will now be named "LRUListWithAsyncSortingThreadNNN".

    The will now be daemon threads.

    They now have an unhandled exception handler.

    Their group is named "LRUListWithAsyncSorting Threads".

I added the last five lines to it myself because I saw they were missing.
Did my adding those mess this up?
Am I correct that we don't want that first line ("Merge pull request #...")?

Thanks for any help

Re: how to get a good commit comment when using gitbox to merge a pull request

Posted by Jinmei Liao <ji...@pivotal.io>.
On the pull request web UI, I usually just use "Squash and Merge" which
will give me a chance to revise the commit messages.

--
Cheers

Jinmei