Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Alan Lloyd [Hosting Reserve]" <al...@hosting-reserve.co.uk> on 2005/01/13 12:54:42 UTC

[users@httpd] Authentication Problems 2

Hello
I sent the message below yesterday but did not see it appear on the
list. If it did get through and no one can help could you suggest places
where apache experts hang out? As I really do need this fixed.

Thanks again Alan

-------------------------------
Hello

I am having a few problems with authentication. No matter what I do I
can not set up a password protected directorys.

I have tried using .htaccess, a directory container in the conf file
even tried using plesk (plesk does it automatically in the conf file).

When I set everything up all I get is a 401 error. There is no pop-up
login box. So no chance to even enter a passwd.

Other directives in .htaccess files seem to work ok. Just not
authentication!

I do get some errors in the logs but nothing I understand! (see below)

The server is only a week only RH9 running
httpd      2.0.40-21.17.legacy
php      4.3.10-1.rh90.art
mod_python      3.0.1-4
mod_perl      1.99_07-5
perl-Apache-ASP      2.57-rh9.build75041216.14

I am not that hot on *nix stuff and this has really got me stumped. The
syntax of the .htaccess files are correct as they work when moved to
other servers (with path changes obviously)

I have posted a copy of my conf file here if anyone wants to take a look
http://tor-bay.co.uk/httpd_conf.txt

Here is the error log (not live)
http://tor-bay.co.uk/error_log.txt

The directory I am trying to protect is
http://tor-bay.co.uk/admin/

The server php info page can be seen here if needed
http://hosting-reserve.co.uk/info.php

There are no errors logged (debug) when accessing the page that should
be protected except 404 (error page not found) in the domain log. Server
log shows errors when I restart apache (see end of log file for latest
restart)

I have googled for the past two days with no luck. Hope someone has some
ideas. I did check with the plesk support team but they assure me it can
not be a plesk problem as plesk does not change or interfere with apache
in any way. The did suggest it may be a permissions problem but they
look correct.

When you look at the httpd_conf.txt file you will see some of the
modules have been commented out. That was me, they were all live. I have
just been trying to comment things out to see if that helps.

I don't have much of a clue about re-compiling programs etc on RH9 so
please keep it simple for me if you do have any ideas  :)

Thanks in advance
Alan