Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com> on 2007/07/06 18:08:39 UTC

Shade Example [was Re: What's the deal with the shade plugin?]

Sorry for the late reply, Maven traffic is a bit to much for me. I did want
to chime in though that I think the CXF build gives a real good example of
how to use the Shade plugin:

http://fisheye6.cenqua.com/browse/celtixfire/trunk/distribution/bundle/pom.xml?r=HEAD

I also wrote a custom transformer for CXF which merges various Spring.xmlfiles:

http://fisheye6.cenqua.com/browse/celtixfire/branches/headerwork/buildtools/src/main/java/org/apache/cxf/maven/PluginTransformer.java?r=HEAD

I realize its no substitute for documentation, but its better than
nothing... :-)

- Dan

On 6/15/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:

> On 15 Jun 07, at 8:04 AM 15 Jun 07, Evan Worley wrote:
>
> > I agree on the lacking documentation, when I saw this thread I did
> > a google
> > search on "shade maven plugin" and was unable to find out what the
> > plugin
> > does.  Though to be fair I spent no more than 2 minutes searching.
> >

> Lots of plugins "kinda lack documention" which is why I put it at
> Mojo. If it were to be released here it would automatically have to
> pass the plugin documentation check. In short it's a high performance
> JAR aggregator which the ability mangle any class references.
> Generally for the purpose of leaving public APIs intact and mangling
> the rest: a poor mans enforced modularity.

Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions